IMPORTANT: Please read - tMP Server Move

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, May 18, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Okies everyone - in 5 minutes, at 19:35 BST I will be closing tMP for a few hours... and don't forget to go to www.themouthpiece.com when you come back later.

Wish me luck... :)

2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

good luck! im sure itll all go fine!

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Er....it's now 19:44 and tMP is still working - is everything OK? :?

4. WoodenFlugel

Hello......hello.....

Hey! Just logged in to the .co.uk address and everything seems to be up and running 8)

Assuming it is, can I be the first to congratulate The Music Man (can I call you John?) on a seemless changeover!!

Just like a swan swimming eh? Grace, poise and style on the surface paddling like buggery underneath :D

5. TheMusicMan

Hi everyone...

Well, we're at our new home now after a great deal of sweat, toil and biting of fingernails, and (finger corssed) it all seems to have gone OK. There are still a few items that I need to get sorted, such as the tMP Copyright FAQ lists etc, and I will get these done ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for your support - and well done Ian, it does look as though you were the first to post in our new home after the move!! (and you're spot on there - by gawd there was frantic activity under the surface I can tell ya!!)

If anyone spots any anomalies please post them here and I will deal with them straight away.

OK then... time for some sleep (and I'd better say hello to Jen and the kids... :? ) cos they haven't seen me for a few days...:)

Cheers all... enjoy!

6. WoodenFlugel

Woo-hoo - fame at last!! :wink:

7. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I didn't notice any difference!!!

8. Stewart

Stewart Member

I was panicking for a while there, our company proxy server had cached an old version of the site and both the .com and .co.uk were linking me to each other instead of showing the board.

Thought I'd lost my distraction from work for a while :? Glad to see everythings still here :)

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Annoying! My work PC still has the 'down for maintenance' message, but ou separate PCs in our canteen (where we can access almost anything) seems to be getting it OK. I'm sure it's a fault from here rather than tMP (I mean, it wouldn't be a normal week at PRS if something didn't go spectacularly wrong with our computers - only for our highly paid IT staff to offer gems of advice like: 'Have you tried re-booting your PC'? after having tried to fix it themselves without any success whatsoever. I'll boot it and re-boot it all right, down the friggin' stairs!)

10. Stewart

Stewart Member

Sounds like the same problem I had, had to force the proxy to clear out the cached version of the .co.uk site and actually check for the current one. try holding down ctrl (or shift, can't remember which) and clicking refresh lots, often works for me.

11. amgray

amgray Member

Out of interest (in a geeky way), are you just changing 1 and 1 packages or are you changing hosts completely (and if so to whom?)

12. TheMusicMan

Andy - moving away from oneandone... :twisted: I have reached the limits of (1) MySQL db size and (2) monthly bandwidth allowance.

db = just over 100MB, and last month tMP used well in excess of 45GB... :shock:

Quie annoyed with them really....

13. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Is anyone else finding things reeeeeeelly slow on the new server? Its taking 30 seconds+ to open every page.

Its not my pc - everything else is fine, and its only been like this since the change over :(

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

Mine's fine! Must be your 'blonde' computer :lol:

15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Mine's getting a bit "jammed" once in a while...but I think that's near enough normal!! Most of the time it's all working fine!

16. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

its working fine on mine, even faster or is that because blueyonder have just increased my broadband speed by %50? :lol:

17. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Yes, really slow :( around 20 seconds for each page to load. Was around 2 seconds before.

It is probably because the new host set command priorities, and loads of queued commands for the Server to deal with.

Given the Bandwidth and continual database access this forum requires, a Dedicated Server would be best, but obviously cost.

18. TheMusicMan

Hi David

I agree totally here, but as you say it is a case of cost. Dedicated servers are very expensive. I am in discussions though with a webhost about the possibility of this should I need to go dedicated. I'd need some more revenue fro sponsors to do this though and I don't get anywhere enough. Many people simply don't realise this.

19. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

After initially voting faster on the poll, I now have to report slow.

Very Slow. Snail like.

On a 10meg line at work.

At home on broadband it's just as slow, but not slower.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

20. TheMusicMan

Hmm.. thanks Andy... I will report this to our new webhost. I know they are monitoring this post to see what is going on... thanks for the info and sorry it is slow.

It is all OK my end though.. I have a 1MB BB connection and it's flying :)