IMPORTANT - new tMP Application & Migration phase II

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Aug 17, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Before we get to the ‘meat’ of this announcement, we would like to thank you ALL for making tMP what it is today. Ever since it’s humble beginnings nearly two years ago, the success of tMP has taken us all by surprise and has now grown to be THE place to get the opinions of banders the world over.

As with all things, tMP has to evolve as it grows, and you are all aware that we have already had to move to a new webhost because of the growth in the usage and in the number of active users we have. This was just the start of the development of the next phase of tMP!

The tMP Team, like some of you, no doubt, have found, as the userbase and information increased, that the current forum software, phpBB, had some serious limitations. It was decided a while ago that it was time to move to another, more customisable, forum application. Extensive research was carried out, taking into consideration various things such as cost, ease of migration from current software, customisation, ability to growth, size of database, options available to users and options available to moderators.

The outcome of this research was that is to be migrated to a new forum software – called vBulletin. We believe that this will be the correct decision to ensure the future of tMP – and more importantly, gives you, our members, the correct platform to air your views on all aspects of banding – as well as other issues!

The whole of tMP as it currently stands will be migrated over to the new forum – so no posts or profile information will be lost. However, some of the functionality will be completely different so it will take a bit of getting used to. To help you with the transition we will set up a section on the new forum where you can post all your ‘How do I?’ questions, as well as any general comments on the new forum.

Of course, once we decided on this, and found the possibilities offered by vB – we found ourselves wanting to use more and more of it’s functionality! One such development, is the introduction of a ‘portal’. This will be the page you first see when you visit – and contained on it will be a brief summary of recent posts, number of users online etc. as well as some important announcements, polls and various other tMP related information.

Look out as well, over the coming weeks, for a new 'Article' feature where a number of interesting documents will be posted. These are currently in development and will cover a range of brass-related topics – all of which will hopefully provide some further fuel for discussion at our already busy forums!

With the migration to vB it became apparent that the ‘look’ of tMP as it currently stands would not fit in – and in fact, we had been thinking for a while, that the logos and typefaces were beginning to look dated, to say the least. One exciting option with vB is the ability to have custom ‘skins’ to modify the way the forum looks. After much tinkering it was decided to contract with and commission a 3rd party developer to design a new and totally unique skin for tMP. We firmly believe that the ‘new look’ tMP is much more pleasing on the eye, and while it may take some getting used to, the colour scheme is just a progression of the one we have currently. Because this new ‘skin’ is very graphically intensive, and might be slow on some dial-up accounts, we will also provide a ‘scaled down’ version in an attempt to keep everyone happy! As a little teaser of the new layout, you may have recognised that all members of the tMP Team have recently been using new avatars – this is in-keeping with the design of the new forum. And because we belive in teasing you even more, here’s a sneak preview of a sceenshot of the new tMP look:

So, on to timescales! All being well, I will be migrating the posts, threads, members etc from the current forum to the the new forum on Wednesday 25th August and we will be ‘live’ on the new look tMP from the morning of 26th August. To facilitate the migration, tMP will have to be shut down for a period of around 8 hours on the evening of 25th whilst I carry out the essential work. I will post an update closer to the date as to the exact time. During this time, all profile information and all posts, indeed all current tMP data (including pms) will be migrated to the new forum. When you next log in after that, the old tMP will be gone forever – and we will be at our new home!

I will post regular status updates during the migration process on our domain so you can see what (if any!!) progress is being made.

I must add here though that this is a massive task, and I am hoping to complete the migration during the silent hours. We have made a significant attempt to identify all of the tasks associated with a significant application migration but just-in-case, it might be that we experience issues we had not identified. If this is the case we will ensure that the current forum is reactivated until we are again ready to have another attempt. I can also add that once we have totally migrated, there will be be a high probability of several glitches and anomalies etc appearing. Please be assured that we will do our utmost to deal with these issues as they arise, and I would ask for your patience and cooperation whilst we do the migration.

We really hope that you all like the new forum, but as with all new things, it will take a bit of getting used to, but please persevere with us – as we are 100% committed to taking tMP forward – and in order to do this – we need the software to be able to grow with us.

So, please be patient with us during this transition, but if you have any questions, please post them here and we will endeavour to answer them truthfully.

Wish us luck guys and gals!

John and your tMP team :wink:
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  2. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

good luck!!! and the new look is great! hope it goes well for ya :tup
  3. jonford

jonford Member

The new look looks great! Can't wait to see it and glad to see the forum developing unlike the old msn forum. Keep up the good work!
  4. jonford

jonford Member

I have thought of one question! Will the users status remain the same, e.g senior friend, prime friend, friend for life? Or does this not work with the new software?
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Good luck with the changeover John - I'll keep my fingers crossed. I wonder if I can be the first person to post on the new Mouthpiece like I managed to do after the server change??
  6. TheMusicMan

Hi Jon

The user ranking is determined by the number of posts made and yes, vB does indeed have a similar user ranking mechanism. However, though there is a lot more functionality within vB that can be used in varying ways - I certainly intend to retain the present ranking system. Your post count will be retained, and as such, the ranking status can be determined from this in the same manner as it is now.

vB is a far superior product to phpBB, and we will be learning about its greatly enhanced functionality for a while yet - with this in mind I want to implement the applilcation sooner rather than later and offer an improved service for our members. It might take a wee while to get 100% operational and I would ask for your cooperation while we endeavour to get there.

Cheers for the positive comments re the screenshot Jon, we are all looking forward to taking this huge leap forward.

7. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

we'll be doing a complete migration, so while some things may be moved around, you'll have all you have now (of sorts) plus a bit more...
  8. jonford

jonford Member

Thank's for your speedy replys as always, I'm sure your'l figure it out, I certainly think the idea of the front portal will be useful as it is very easy to miss things on the current boards.
  9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

It all sounds very exciting, I just hope the forum is not too hard to use....I do get easily confused!
    (also congratulations for making me read a post that was longer than about 10 lines~I usually miss those ones out!)

Well done John et al, brilliant stuff
  10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:) been looking forward to this!
    Looks fantastic J!

Look forward to next week when all is complete :)
  11. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

Cool :D

tmp-Team you make good work!!
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

8... hours... ??? :cry:

Ah well, it looks real pretty so I guess I can let you off...
  13. TheMusicMan

Hi lynchie.... yup, 8 hours - sorry... there is a mass of stuff to get done and I only hope I can achieve it within that timescale. It may be that there are a few anomalies that we can sort in the days following the move...

Fingers crossed.... :)
  14. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Great stuff John - good to see that the team are not just resting on their laurels of the current success but that you are looking to the future.
    Hope all goes well with the migration - I know what you have to go through :)
  15. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Good choice! vB is much better.
  16. TheMusicMan

Thanks for the positive comments... we are trying hard to maintain our forward looking approach and to build for the future. Hopefully the move to vB will be a giant leap in terms of what we can offer here on tMP.

Can I assume by what you posted that you have done a phpBB>vB migration...?
  17. jambo

jambo Member

Good luck John.

Just migrated our system at work over the course of a month! It did include nearly a million images though)

You have my sympathy. 8)
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Just a thought, would it be benificial to the change over, or easier for you if we all cleared out our PM's? I'm sure I'm not the only one with loads of old messages stored in their inbox!!
  19. TheMusicMan

That would indeed be a good idea though not absolutely necessary. All PM's will hopefully be migrated across. It is always a good thing to undertake periodic housekeeping as PM's do take up space on the server.

If people could have a look at their PM's and delete those that are no longer required this would help.

20. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I can't wait!

7 days... apparently I have a "thing" for countdowns... :roll: