IMPORTANT- Euphonium Gig Bags

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hi,
    I'm looking for a case/ gig bag for my Euphonium, but my Mum doesn't want to buy one that doecsn't have much padding- so my Prestige doesn't get dented.
    I'd also like one that you can carry over your shoulder, as i'm finding my existing Prestige case (although very pretty and durable :lol: ) Is far too heavy to be trekking across town, and it's weight is digging into my hands causing my fingers to hurt (and I need them to play! :cry: )

So does anyone know a good over the shoulder Euph case that is durable and preferably not overly expensive??????????
    Please reply!
    Thanks,

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Prestige
    Euphonium
    shoulder Euph case
    existing Prestige case
    weight
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

If I remember correctly Alex, Aidan did a gig-bag review many months ago. It might have been for a Tenor Horn, but I'm certain they will make gig bags of the type reviewed for Euph as well...

Seek and ye shall find... it's in the reviews section somewhere... and it came highly reccommended as well.

Aidan....???

4. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Lol! :D
    Thanks Mr Music Man! :wink:
    Shall hunt it down.....

5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Avoid the Winter Soundware bags. I have one for my baritone and while I can't complain about room, padding, straps ect. It has split right down the seam that attaches to the zip. I've had to buy some strong thread and restitch it.

6. matty1986

matty1986 Member

I'm not sure if you can buy them sepperatly but try getting a Curtois case. They're very similar to a gig bag, but are hard a durable, and you can carry them on your back or over your shoulder. They also have alot of space for music.

The best place to get one from os fred rhodes in oldham.

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I've had Bach gig bags for horn and euph, and wouldn't swap. They've got decent padding, a solid end to protect the bell and a strap that can be slung over one shoulder or used rucsac-style. The bell is up by your shoulder/ear which I find safer - easier to get through doors etc without clouting it than if the bell was down on your hip as with some bags. But then, I'm very clumsy so I need all the help I can get!!!

8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah i think i mentionned the winter bags on the review :) the seams are poopoo.
    not sure if "GiG" do ones for euph.. but give them a ring at the number on their website.. you can order off the website but they dont show the complete range on there.. so im sure they'll do one suitable for euphs.
    www.gig-bags.com

9. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Courtois cases are poo, so DON'T get one. I'd be best off carrying my bari round in a bin bag for all the protection my case gives it.

I bought my boyfriend a leather Bach gigbag last year and that looks after his bari really well, lots of padding. I'd recommend one of those. A bari one cost £150 so it's pretty pricey. But it's worth it to protect your intrument.

Jayne

10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yeah the Bach ones are good, as are thr "Reunion Blues" ones, leather or fabric. You can get them from Phil Parkers in London or John Myatt (I've been looking in my catalogues today for schooly things). These ones are by far the best I've seen/ used. Don't think the GIG ones come in Euph, I'm gettting a tenor sax one for my bari (and there's loadsa compartments for booze hiding at contests).

11. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I'm afraid i can't be much help regarding the gig bag but i just wanted to say THANKYOU!!
    i thought i was the only one who found the prestige case very heavy . when i first got my prestige i wasn't allowed to carry it in my gig bag (which i got from a friend of a friend so can't help you there) but i have had to return to carrying it in my gig bag as it really is too heavy!! and the fact that everyone got fed up of me complaining about how heavy it was to carry!
    I found the best way to prevent the case hurting is to take the instrument out of the case and carry it yourself, and use a bit of gentle persuasion to get someone else to carry the case!! Works sometimes, depends how nice you are tho!!

but while we are on the topic of euphoniums i wanted to know if anyone else (especially women) have trouble marching with them? Or is it just me being weak! Oh And the prestige's don't have liar holders which is annoying :x ah well I suppose you cant have everything!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Prestige
    Euphonium
    shoulder Euph case
    existing Prestige case
    weight
  13. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Why don't you get a strap for marching? I know loads of euph players who do that.

Jayne

14. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

15. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Tried looking at the one's that you recommend Aidan, and their sites down so I emailed them. They said that they have designs for Euphonium cases, but because of the SARS virus they haven't been able to implement the designs at the factory where they produce them in China. They said they should be out and about early next year.
    So i'll wait until then. :D
    OR
    I might look at Bach cases (which I'm doing now) because it seems people on this thread like them! :lol: :wink:

16. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Oh, and by the way. Thanks for your help guys! :wink:

17. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

nae probs laddie

18. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Anyone know the website of Bach Gig Bags?

19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

No sorry, but I got mine through Normans so they're worth a try.

20. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i use a strap for marhcing, it's just too heavy 8)

21. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Got myself a Euph Bach Gig Bag at the RNCM Tuba/Euph festival, has been invaluable to me in transporting it across vast distances(!).
    Thanks for your help guys.

22. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Bach Gig Bag plus Prestige Euphonium = DENTS! :-(
    Anyone know a good Euph gig bag???