Immovable Slides

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nicolaforsberg, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Well, I've borrowed this trumpet from my band for a performance I'm doing and none of the slides move...at all. Probably due to the fact that its not been played for a looong time. So far I've tried:
    Washing it
    Slide grease
    Valve oil
    Soaking in warm water
    Brute Strength

And none of these work. Any suggestions welcome!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Slides
    none
    Strength
    waterBrute
    fact
  3. impycornet

impycornet Member

Take it to a music repair shop, before you use too much brute force & snap the slide stays !!

4. Syrup

Syrup Member

Why not just give it them back and ask for another one thats ok (unless they only have the 1 spare!). Also make sure any repairs are at the bands expense and not yours!!

I actually had the same problem last year with my Bb cornet which had not been played for a while. Took it to a repair shop and they heated up the pipe that the main tuning slide goes into to expand the metal slightly and freed it that way. You have to be very careful doing this though in order not to damage the instrument, therefore always use a repairer.

5. timbloke

timbloke Member

I spent some time trying to free a baritone's slides about a year ago, including some rather serious action involving a hammer!! it was then taken to a repairer and returned within the week for a minimal charge. Hence by far the easiest option.

6. The band only has 2 trumpets, the first one has got really temperamental valves so ive swapped it for this one. Oh well..i spose it may have to go to a repair shop. Thats annoying! I could always try heating the tuning slide myself...hehehe. Or just not, you know!

7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I would strongly advise against trying to free the slide yourself - I have a euphonium under repair at the moment that someone tried to free the 2nd valve slide. They managed to break the slide so that the interior parts are still inside the instrument and the curve is broken off. The repair is going to be very expensive - essentially, they have to disassemble and replace both the slide and the receiver.

8. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I had a baritone with both a stuck slide and a jammed mouthpiece, and thought my old engineering knowledge would free both. But having tried WD40, and heat (hot on one part, cold on the other, so that the metals would expand and contract at different rates), this did not work. I even tried a cloth strap around the slide and the ends in a vice, but this had no effect either.

Eventually I watched a very skilful repairer melt some plastic stuff (like play dough) in hot water and place it around the slide, moulded and shaped until it had two flat faces. He left it to cool solid, then applied a soft faced hammer to the flat faces of the plastic stuff, and gently the slide came away. Then the slide and plastic went back into boiling water to soften it up to remove it.

The whole operation took about four hours, but cost only about £10, so was worth every penny. Judging by the instruments awaiting extensive repair, I would guess that too many people do not want the inconvenience or predicted cost of a repairer, but this is a foolish assumption.

Oh! and the jammed mouthpice was freed using two plates between the mouthpiece and instrument, and some gentle pressure via a couple of screws to expand the plates, (half a turn of a screw is only a fraction of a millimetre).

No way could I have done this for myself, despite being a retired engineer, and I would strongly advise going to a friendly repairer. Key NAMIR (National Association of Instrument Repairers) into a search engine to find the nearest.

Good luck

AlanL58
    Bude, Cornwall