I'm new here!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AdamW, Jun 17, 2009.

1. AdamW

AdamW New Member

I've just joined this forum and wanted to say Hello. I'm 14 and I started playing the trumpet when I was 8. Last September I started playing my Dad's euphonium and got hooked on it. Shame for him really because he'd only bought it a year earlier and was learning to play it as his first brass instrument. But he let me have the euph, and bought himself a trombone to cheer himself up. He just needs to find a band that takes adult beginners so he can learn more.
    My (now!) euphonium is a Besson 3 valve 600 model from about 1985 and I'm due to take my Grade V in a few weeks. After this, I will probably need to buy a 4 valve instrument. I've got my eyes on a Besson Prestige. . . I wonder how Mum and Dad feel about that? :wink:
    I look forward to posting here and reading about what everyone else is doing. At least we all have the same interest!:tup
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Hello Adam, welcome to theMouthPiece and all the best with your euphonium!
  3. Di B

Di B Member

Hi Adam, do you play with a band as yet? Its good to see enthusiasm from a local euph player even if you make me feel a bit old! ;-)

Prestiges are nice and showy but do some searching on here about them before you decide to buy one and make sure you give any instrument you buy a good try out (even loan one for a couple of weeks if poss)

How did you get into playing? Was it by school or a local band?

Keep up the good work :)
  4. Hello Adam from a fellow " Eupher".
  5. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Wonderful to have another youngster on board! :hi
  6. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Hello! Welcome to tMP!

7. AdamW

AdamW New Member

I'm new here

Hi Di
    I have just joined Nottinghamshire County Performers Concert Band. I started out playing trumpet at junior school - Mum encouraged me to play brass because she is a French Horn player. Dad plays violin:eek:. I've had weekly lessons at school and I go to 11th Session - this is a Saturday morning workshop for Music and Drama at a local school, run by the Notts County Council. I did my first trumpet solo at an 11th Session Christmas concert (Titanic theme). I've played a couple of solos at my school awards ceremony on my trumpet, and last September I played All That Jazz as a solo - but on the euph instead of the trumpet! I really love the euph and I want to be able to play like any of the Childs family because they are fantastic. Mum and Dad say that I'll have to work hard to do that, but I will! One of the students from 11th Session left to go to university last year and she's getting lessons from David Childs by all accounts - I'd love that.
    The new instrument is my dream at the moment. I have had a go on a Prestige and it was great but the valves were a bit stiff with it being new. The York looks nice too but I need to get to somewhere where I can try one out. So who knows?
    Thanks for the fantastic welcome to the forum :cool:
  8. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hi Adam!

Welcome to tMP and good luck with the Euph!

The euph player having lessons with David Childs, it's not Fran Wilson, is it?
  9. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Southwell Minster?

that's my school :biggrin:
  10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

A big welcome to you Adam, looks like you're getting used to things around here quickly. :tup
  11. AdamW

AdamW New Member

No, it's Elizabeth ?? can't remember her surname :confused: I found out from my Mum who knows her Dad through work - I find things out second hand!!
  12. AdamW

AdamW New Member

Hi Chris

No, it's at Redhill - but I come to Southwell Minster school for Notts County Band rehearsals. Nice school :clap:
  13. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

did my grade 5 when i was 11 on a 3 valve 600 too :) amazing instrument haha
    moved onto one of the newley made soverigns after that
    and then just a few months ago finaly got a prestige :D
    wonderfull instrument althouh much harder to play.....worth the effort though :)
    hope the grade 5 goes well :D
    glad to hear you have started playing gods instrument anyway ;)