Im gonna read a book

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Steve, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

OK, the last thing I read was Roald Dahls Matilda and that was at least 11 years ago. Since then I havent actually read a book and am after some suggestions. If you could leave a title & author, brief blurb and your rating out of 10 then it would be most appreciated. I dont know what genre I like as I never got past kids stories, I liked them though and I dont want a book that makes my mind go spinning with huge amounts of thought involved. I have every faith in you all finding me a book.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=FlugelD
    Im
    C4
    Da Vinci Code
    elements
  3. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Harry potter!! start fromt the beginging anfd it shoudl keep you going for a while!

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Sorry forgot to mention, if it has been made into a film then I am unlikely to read it. My theory on books always was if its any good then a director will make it into a good film and then I can watch it instead.

5. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

A crack in the line - Michael Lawrence
    Theres different realities and two people get into each others realities and I dont know how much else I can say without giving it all away but it is really good. 10/10.

6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

George Orwell- Animal Farm...or George Orwell's 1984. Both very thought provoking. Animal Farm is a nice easy read, and is loosely based on the Russian Revolution but is a good book even without needing to know its full historical background.

1984 is just fantastic to see what Orwell's vision of the future was through the eyes of a man called Winston, and how the state would eventually become a police state. Don't know about anyone else but i think we're slowly becoming a police state today. Labour's wish for Omnipotence makes me wonder whether Orwell was actually right. A very good book i think everyone should read.

7. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

No offence, but that theory sucks! I have read loads of great books and the films are rubbish. I can't really recommend a good book, but try anything at all by Nick Hornby (and 'about a boy' and 'high fidelity' are more examples of the books being better than the films) and you won't go far wrong. Great writer :clap: Maggie O'Farrell (sp?) is pretty good too.

8. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Guess I saw a different version, not much russian revolution, but plenty of animals??

9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Yeh its about animals, hence the title but its a parady. It was made into quite a good animated film. But the book's better.

10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

You not seen the video nasty... its fantastic...

www.roalddahl.com

11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Stephen Donaldson's superb epic series... "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever..." which is a fabulous read.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=FlugelD
    Im
    C4
    Da Vinci Code
    elements
  13. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Perfume by Patrick Suskind s one of my favourite books.
    Set in Paris, its about a bloke who has no personal odour, but has an extrodinary gift of smell. It is quite a dark, gothic taleb but a great book.

Catch 22 is also a favourite, nearly 600 pages, but the wit and dark humour is great.

14. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

John Gotti - Mobster

Not sure who wrote it i'm afraid, but it's a brilliant book that tracks John Gotti's life from young street punk right through to being the Don of the Gambino family. The book gives a great insight into the New York Mafia and was one of very few books that I just didn't want to put down.

15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I agree, they're both amazing books! I studied Animal Farm as part of my GCSE, and ended up getting 54/54 for my essay on it! I obviously found it an interesting read! :biggrin:

16. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I have to agree totally! Usually the film doenst do the book justice at all! You need to have a think about that one! But more importantly, you need to get out there to a book shop and find a book you think YOU will enoying reading. reading is good for you! just wish i had more time for it!

17. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Six books, each the thickness of a house brick is a bit ambitious for a new reader. :eek: But I agree they are a great read. :tup

How about Dan Brown's DaVinci Code or Angels and Demons good fast paced thrillers that have been recent mega-selling blockbusters.

18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I can quite happily recommend "Angels of Death" by Howard Wilson.

It's one of those you just can't put down, it's thrilling from the opening page.

It follows a private detective who through an enquiry about the possible re-abduction of a missing teenager manages to get himself in the centre of a huge mess involving a violent religious sect, triads and the mafia. Set in New York, very exciting, well worth a read if you can get hold of a copy. Tesco.com sell it for just over a fiver I believe.

Everyone that I've recommended it to and who has read it has said how compelling and un-put-downable it is.

p.s. Not for the faint hearted, there is plenty of gore and violence. :cool:

19. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' books - a brilliant sideways look at reality, very funny

Douglas Adams' 'Hitchiker's Guide' trilogy (all 5 of 'em...) - an ordinary person in strange & novel circumstances :D

Tom Holt - uses characters from fairy tales and myth in a modern setting - 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai' also has a 'fairyland' computer system called 'Mirrors 3.1'

20. rutty

rutty Active Member

Can't go wrong with Pratchett. Excellent, easy to read, funny, thoughtful books.

For someone that isn't a seasoned reader then you would probably enjoy much of the stuff by Wilbur Smith - hardly Booker Prize material but well-written adverntures normally set in Africa or other exotic places. Good stuff.

Horror - Stephen King. No-one better at characterisation in popular fiction IMHO. His older ones are better, but even the new stuff is good.

Bernard Cornwall - his King Arthur stuff is very good plus he's the guy that wrote the Sharpe stories. Boy's own stuff, not bad at all.

I'm more of a fantasy reader (another big Stephen Donaldson fan) but I'd imagine that something more in the realms of earth-bound stories would be more your thing.

21. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Vernon God Little by DBC Piere is definitly worth a read as is Disgrace by J M Coetzee or The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night time by Mark Haddon.

If you want to stick to children's book like Harry Potter then I'd recommend the Artemis Fowl trilogy by Eoin Coiffer.

Happy Reading!

22. Lisa

Lisa Member

'How to be good' by Nick Hornby is also really good. Very funny in a sarcastic way!
    Also 'Blast from the Past' by Ben Elton is fast moving, really sharp and witty and easy to read!

I agree that George Orwell is good too - a very clear, unpretentious writing style...'Down and Out in Paris' is next on my 'to read' list so i'll let you know what it's like! :p