I'm getting a new horn!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigmamabadger, Sep 8, 2005.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Although it will belong to the band...
    Assuming I get any say in the matter and taking into account the limited budget, what should we get?
    Don't actually know what the budget will be but not more than £500 at the very limit.
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I've got a Yamaha Maestro Tenor Horn: Yamaha Maestro 602 Tenor Horn, Lacquer slightly worn and case a bit shabby, but plays great!. You can see pictures here: http://www.bentubb.com/instruments.htm , am looking for £500?

3. Fergus

Fergus Member

I'd recommend you try to get hold of a 2nd hand sovereign. I believe they're the "rolls royce" of tenor horns.
  4. stabbyjnr

stabbyjnr Member

indeed they are! can i have ure old one bmb?????????
  5. Moy

Moy Active Member

So what you playing now Ben?
    My first horn was a Maestro but must admit now play a Sovereign and agree it's the best.
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm looking into getting a brand spankign new Silver Plated Sov!
  7. Moy

Moy Active Member

Yeh Ben - can't beat them.

Love mine to bits.
  8. Di

Di Active Member

Didn't you get advised to get an older style one and do it up Ben?
  9. Moy

Moy Active Member

You can get good new ones - honest.
    Just be very fussy and demand to try a few.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Yea... what does Sandy know eh?! :p
  11. Moy

Moy Active Member

oooo Ben - he knows lots and lots.
  12. Steve

Steve Active Member

pm shawneuph and ask him about his new range of horns. I know that he has had several instruments (one of whic I believe to be the round stamp sovereign) cloned and produced. I have tried some of them and they are very very good, not sure if the horn is ready yet though. Awesome prices as well!!!
  13. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

2nd hand Sov, preferably an old 'un in good nick. Be ready to a) pull the main slide 'til it's ready to drop, and b) learn some new (alternative) fingerings - but you'll sound like a star once you've got used to the beast.... :)