Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jamie, May 5, 2006.

1. Jamie

Jamie Member

Just a quickie, and highly uninteresting really, but I have a question!
    My current bed at uni is from Ikea, and I'd like to move it home to Cornwall with me. Was just wondering whether Ikea type flatpack furniture can actually be dismantled or whether in true flatpack style it wont go back together again or is just never quite the same again? Anyone got any experiences with taking their furniture apart? Will be less than impressed if I dismantle my bed and end up on the floor!!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I have to assume that it is a bed that you bought for your accomodation at Uni? :-? (... if it is the Hall's one this would be a first!). Depends if it has be made of wood or chipboard. Taking screws out from chipboard and then reassembling it can be risky.
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

No experience with this however, I'd just be brave, take the plunge and just go for it and take the thing apart! :p if it wont go back together again it's pretty naff init :p

Good luck! ;)
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Errr assuming you've actually bought this bed and we're not encouraging some form of theft ;)

Yeah, take it to bits. I've found their stuff to be pretty sturdy. Just keep a note of which bit fits where and don't lose any small parts! It should be fine to take to pieces and put back together again.
  5. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Let me know how it goes - I've got a pretty hefty chest of drawers that I somehow need to get home next month as well!
  6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Ikea stuff is normally quite easy to dismantle if every thing is screwed together, where you might have snags is if any parts are glued or nailed together. but if not it should be ok
  7. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

We moved house a few years ago and we had a lot of ikea stuff which was dismantled and re-put-together and it all still is fine :D One thing we learnt though was to never let my brother put a chest of drawers together.... he tacked the back panel on the front :tongue: and it all went down hill from there!
  8. andyp

andyp Active Member

Ikea's stuff is usually pretty robust, plus they tend to use hefty cam+peg fastenings and Allen bolts rather than naff screws straight into chipboard, even on (relatively) small pieces of furniture.
    Dismantle it carefully and keep all the fasteners safe (plastic butter box is ideal) and it should be fine.
  9. I didn't have a bed, but had a lot of ikea furniture to shift back from uni last year too, i took it all apart and it did indeed go back together when i got home.
  10. Jamie

Jamie Member

You are a knowlegeable bunch! Thanks for the advice... it looks pretty sturdy so will give it a go. It's really hard to see how its held together because all the fixings are hidden and because my room is so small here it stretches the width of the room and I can't contort myself enough to get a good look! I'd assume its screws though, so will let you know how it goes... I may yet be investing in a hammock!!