Ii V I

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Jul 18, 2007.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Washing up last night I caught Scritti Politti's Perfect Way played on Radio 2, which I hadn't heard for years and thoroughly enjoyed. Got me thinking, I vaguely remember reading a magazine interview with Green from the band saying that he deliberately avoided using II V I cadences. But seems that playing the piano my hands seem to fall into that sort of progression. (II V13 I, etc). Anyone suggest some alternative progressions that are as satisfying as II V I without actually being II V I. This isn't just for arranging, it'd get used to connect verses when I'm playing piano in church, to avoid the gap you get if you just stop playing between verses.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Radio 2
    Perfect Way
    progressions
    progression
    sort
  3. bigcol

bigcol Member

Blimey this is a open ended question. Are you wanting to stay within normal harmony? If so vi V I is ok too, you could try inversions such as iib V I. IV ii I is nice too, although not 'canon'.

If you want to stray out of the norm, you can use a German sixth , V I (a german sixth is Ab, C, Eb and F# if you are in C) or one of my favourites, a flatten 7th chord i.e. Bb D F, leading to V I.