Ignorance...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, so I made up the crack about The Doors covering a Will Young song in another thread.

This next example is true, though.

1991, London.

A football fanatic meets a young lady at work. After asking her out, he discovers that she not only speaks with a posh accent, but her father is a Lord, and lives in a mansion out in Essex.

Wanting to fit in, when he is invited to the opera, he smiles through his teeth and says, "I’d love to!"

The morning after the opera, he comes into the office and declares...

"That Puccini bloke's got a blimmin' cheek. Fancy taking the theme to the 1990 World Cup and putting it in an opera!"

Would anyone care to regale tMP with more tales of comic ignorance?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    black
    Ignorance
    song
    Will Young
    The Doors
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I remember when Lionel Richie had the hit 'Lady', some people were upset that he stole it from Kenny Rogers, even though LR orinigally wrote the song.

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

In our house, the doors cover the gaps between the rooms.

Will Young would be better covered by a door in my opinion.

(*gets coat off coat hook on back of Door while listening to the Bach of a Doig)

5. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

how dare u make a blasphemous comment like this one! tut tut mr lyons:eek:

6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Couldn't agree more....he's like marmite, pure lovelyness:)

7. mikelyons

I'll never eat Marmite again :p

8. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Playing Themes from the New World Symphony at Centre Parkhurst, we got the Largo bit, and a guy sat in the café opposite rose his head from the paper he was reading and muttered "oh, the Hovis music" before burying his head back into the News of the World!

9. mikelyons

Living in a place where a culture vulture would starve to death, there are hundreds of possible examples I could use. Our lovely children come up with corkers all the time (as you can see if you visit http://www.oldhallbrass.com/what_they_say.htm. )

However, having met the parents, you can see why. I once spent a good 5 minutes at parents' evening for year 8, extolling the limited virtues of a boy's project on Mozart to a blousy blonde woman who reeked of smoke and cheap perfume. She was sort of looking at me vacantly and I wasn't sure if the light in her eyes was coming in through the hole in the back of her skull when I received confirmation. "erm... wot's muzzart?" she said.

I stared speechless for a moment and looked at her, assessing the likelihood of comprehension. "Never mind Mrs. blagh", I sighed, "it was a nice project, but I can see it's really not worth the effort involved in explaining the technical term 'Mozart'. Thank you for coming."

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... reminds me of that old story (methinks myth) about a bander reading a poster advertising a concert where a well-known baritone soloist was featured. The poor geezer/geezeress complained to the organisors afterwards about the soloist not appearing ... thinking it was a brass band baritone player! :)

11. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

How many bandsmen have turned up to see Britten's "Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings" in the past?

I know of at least 2 people who thought it was composed for the Dog Horn!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    black
    Ignorance
    song
    Will Young
    The Doors
  13. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

This is my favourite: "My tune was rubbish so Mr. Lyons helped me to make it right. It was still rubbish"

Nice one Mike ;)

14. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

One of my pupils last term was quite adamant that 'March of The Toreadors' was composed by Nokia!!!

15. mikelyons

One does one's best ;);)

16. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Can we all chip in for the vets bill and have him put down...??

17. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

One of my pupils was convinced their exam piece was 'by Hovis'...

18. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

2 things wrong there
    1) I don't know who he is, so I can doubt this statement muchly
    2) Marmite is far from being pure loveliness

19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Oh, you win by not knowing, trust me....

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ahem...back on topic...

My workmate went to see an am-dram perfomance of Carousel, he'd never been one for musicals, and was only going to see another of his friends perform. When I asked him the day after what he thought he said:

"well yeah it was OK...but I don't know why they suddenly started singing Gerry and the Pacemakers songs halfway through..."

he was, of course talking about You'll Never Walk Alone...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  21. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I'll always remember a conductor of a band I was helping out say to me after playing Aces High (Luftwaffe March from the film Battle of Britain - for the unitiated!) "What was an English composer like Ron Goodwin doing writing for the B****y Germans!!"

The awful thing was he was serious!!!!!

22. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

People place bids for air guitars on ebay