Ifton Colliery Band (Near Wrexham)

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by Mesmerist, Jan 11, 2019 at 8:12 PM.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Poorly man in hospital having heart and lung transplant right now. He's ace, determined and strong so he'll be back but we need help on the trombone section to cover him for the Welsh 1st section Areas this year. Any one able to help please? We rehearse Black Park, Chirk on Monday evenings.
    Thank you.

2. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Hell's teeth, Mesmerist - that's a tough thing to face; my heart op was bad enough, yet nowhere near what he's up against. Wish that hero well from me!

Mesmerist likes this.
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

It is tough Jack and he's not having an easy time of it, not that he'd tell you that being the stoical hero he is. That's him in the middle of the group. He's talking now so hopefully will get off the life support machine soon and finish sorting the band library.
    PS he's v tall. I'm not short!

4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

:D Reminds me of a picture my mum showed me of my uncle Will, taken in Gibraltar, where he was stationed when in the Royal Marines (just prior to WWII). The photo showed him and a bunch of friends, together with the waiter at their favourite drinking hole. I commented on how small the waiter was, and my mum laughed and said that she'd asked Will about that. The waiter was actually 5' 9" - but the shortest of the Marines was 6' 3"!! :eek:

In the early 30s, when Will enlisted, an outfit like the Guards or the Royals wouldn't even look at you unless you were built like a brick netty, and tall with it. It was such a mark of social status that when Will came home on leave (in uniform!), my mum would meet him at the tram stop, so she could walk up the street to their house holding his hand - on the lines of :

"Look at ME, people! MY big brother's in the ROYALS!" :cool:

:D

Mesmerist likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice