If your band is out tomorrow (Sunday 10th July)- please read this

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Dear all,

With the terrorist attacks on London, this has been a very trying week for all of us.

In addition, for me, a former colleague, aged 45, died of a heart attack last week, and will be cremated next Tuesday.

For us at Fulham it is also a very sad weekend, with a close relative of a Fulhamite having died today.

At the bereaved's request, we will be playing Crimond from the red hymn book to open proceedings at Golder's Hill tomorrow.

If your band is out tomorrow (Sunday) please take five minutes from your normal Sunday Afternoon razzamatazz, and play two verses of Crimond in memory of those people we will not see again.

A little calm in all the hubbub will hopefully allow people to reflect.
  2. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

that's so sweet, will.
  3. postie

postie Member

I would love the band to be able to do that but tomorrow we have a contest. This week has been such a sad week thoughts are with everyone who has lost someone close to them.
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm gonna make sure we do.

Best wishes to everyone affected by the weeks sad events.
  5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

On an orchestral gig last night - a perfectly observed 1 minute silence.

Then later on, one of our guest soloists decided, unknown to us, to sing Watching the Wheat, unaccompanied as a tribute. . Sung in Welsh, it was incredibly moving.
  6. Heather

Heather Member

We had a concert yesterday (garden fete) and included Crimond in our programme.
  7. brass journo

brass journo Member

We have a 10-piece job today at which we will play Crimond.

In remembrance of all thos we have aloved and lost. May they rest in peace and happiness.

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

W haven't got a 'job' on today, but I will make sure we start tonight's rehearsal with two verses of Crimond.
  9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

We performed a VE Celebration concert in Shrewsbury last night, and although we had planned to remember the war dead, decided to alter the beginning of our concert and dedicated a blessing, prayer and minutes silence for those who were injured or lost their lives in the horiffic bombings last Thursday. We then performed 'Evening Hymn and Last Post' which served to remember not only those who lost their lives in both World Wars but also the attrocities of recent days.

You might be aware that this week has been Veterans Awareness Week across Britatin so the inclusion of a humn tune in any concert programme would certainly be appropriate.

Great suggestion Will and I hope bands support the idea.

10. Di

Di Active Member

Hathern are doing a VE celebration tonight. I don't know if i'll be there myself but have forwarded the message on.
  11. brass journo

brass journo Member

Well, back from our 10-piece job and as promised we performed Crimond. However, it was not the most salubrious of venues and apart from not really caring for Crimond, half the people at the gala we were performing at ignored the minute silence as well. It really annoyed me that these people had such a lack of respect for the attrocities that took place last week and I'm sure Cornet King will back me up on that one!

The important thing was that we payed our respects and our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this and other tragic incidents.

12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Watchet Town Band played Crimond, as requested, at an RNLI Service in Minehead.
  13. bigcol

bigcol Member

FRB did the Crimond biz today at a park job in Newcastle.
  14. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Indeed I shall. The venue and audience were hardly inspiring but at least we paid our own small tribute to the innocent people so cruelly attacked on Thursday. The one minute's silence was a joke, makes you wonder if half of the people actually care.

Nice to know the Brass Band world can pay their own respects so well. Good idea Will.
  15. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Emley played Crimond at Holmfirth park today
  16. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Yep we did it today at your request and also yesterday outside the County at Durham Miners Gala.
  17. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Sadly I didn't see this before I went out to a gig but we had a minute's silence then played Deep Harmony which worked nicely as a tribute.

Rach x
  18. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Well done to everyone who paid their respects in whichever way. The movement as a whole can be proud of you. And what better way to do it? An excellent suggestion for time to reflect.

An incident like the london bombs is designed to push people apart and divide us. And it's great to see that in stead of that, we've had a coming together by brassies over this to show respect, pay tribute and reflect.

I don't presume to speak for everyone, but I'm sure everyone's thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by these tragic events.
  19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Thanks to everybody whose bands took part in our own little tribute.

It was a hugely emotional day for me (as described in the first post in the thread) but as usual, Fulham did everyone proud.

We opened with a drum roll, getting everybody's attention as they thought it was the National Anthem(!) and then played a very moving version of Crimond.

At the end, having rocked the crowd with James Bond, and Amarillo we closed with Abide with Me, and then Fiona, a true star and Fulhamite through and through, played the Last Post.

This was very well received, and attracted some very positive comments from some seasoned park concert veterans.

As if to prove we can pull together, circumstance meant that at 10am this morning, I only had one bass player. Cue some mad phoning around, (and everybody seeming to be at christenings or silver wedding celebrations) and I spoke to an old colleague from Waltham Forest Band (now East London Brass). He was scheduled to be out with the family, but after consultation with his wife (who said, "You should go. He always helps your band out.") he agreed to come. So, at two hours notice, I found a Bb Bass player. Martin, sunshine, take a bow.

I'm going to remember this week for a long time - and not for all good reasons, but that Fulham could pull off a quality suitable performance this afternoon, with aid from people on tMP and from East London, means I'll remember this afternoon for ever.
  20. dyl

dyl Active Member

Unfortunately, one blown up car engine put paid to my plans to be able to play it at the start of tonight's rehearsal, however, I did manage to make it to band by the second half - which was started by two verses of Crimond.

We all thought it was a great idea for a tribute, Will.