If you were picking the 2006 area pieces what would you pick?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Band_Beefcake, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Band_Beefcake

Band_Beefcake Member

Hi all just having a think about test pieces for next years areas and if it was up to you what would u pick for any of the sections? In championship Id love to see something like Blitz or Revelation as I love them, and seen as its quite popular at the moment maybe St.Magnus :D

When it comes to lower sections, maybe something like purcell variations for 3rd? and in 4th just something exciting I sometimes feel that the 4th section pieces leave alot to the imagination I know you cant expect the bands of the 4th section to play something too hard but something they can really get their teeth into would be nice :D

I'm open to suggestions let me hear your thoughts

2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

St. Magnus has been used a fair bit recentley, would like to see some other choices as there are some fantastic pieces out there! Some Wilf Heaton I think would be good!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Blitz was chosen recently for the areas in 1999. I would like to see the 1995 European test, Red Earth (Roland Wiltgen) used for next year's Championship piece. That or Isaiah 40 (Robert Redhead).

post-edit:- Other pieces well worth a consideration for the Championship section are King's Messenger (George Lloyd), Theme & Co-operation (Joseph Horovitz) & Burlesque (Rob Goorhuis).
  4. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I agree, Isiah 40 is brilliant setting!
  5. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Purcell variations would be top for the 3rd section!
  6. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Freedom for Championship. Super piece.
  7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Purcell is a top piece but I would put it in 2nd Section, Devil and the Deep Blue Sea for top section, I would like to see an SA piece such as Shine as the Light being used as well. We played Peter Graham's Renaissance at a contest last year that would be great for 2nd section also!
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

For the 1st Section I would choose Jean Balisaat's 2nd Sinfonietta For Band or Judith Bingham's The Stars Above: The Earth Below.
  9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ok then as test pieces are my number one favorite subject here goes;

Championship Section :Le Roi d'Ys :Lalo Arr Frank Wright
    OR:Benvenuto Cellini Berlioz arr Christian Jenkins
    1St Section : James Cook Circumnavigator:Gilbert Vinter
    2nd Section: Resurgam:Eric Ball
    3rd Section: Land Of The Mountain And The Flood:Hamish MacCunn arr Glyn
    4th Section: Rhapsody On British Sea Shanties By Donald Osgood

Not only are they band friendly ie : Us players would enjoy practising them but they are also AUDIENCE Friendly to , so that way a good number of us would go to probably 2 areas to hear such GREAT PIECES of music.

Probably Rhapsody On British Sea Shanties could be questioned as it as only ever been played once at a contest of which i can recall that was in 1977 3rd Section National Finals,the winners on that day were WALSALL METROPOLITAN BAND:clap: Conducted by Peter Bright and of which i was a member of the winning band aged 12, this was my very first senior band contest as well:biggrin: playing 2nd Baritone.
    A Day I will Never FORGET:tup :D
  10. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'd love to see the Maunsell Forts used in the Championship section.

Not much longer to wait now. I'm sure the rumour mill will kick in big style for both the Area and Spring Festival pieces.
  11. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Freedom is a class piece , still difficult even tho it dates from the 1920's
    Lorenzo if you like your test old fashioned
    I personally would not use an arrangement of an orchestral work , what is the point when you have so much original music which needs more than one performance.
    Odin , The Beacons (I know this was used at the area in the 1980's) , Seascapes , Hymn at Sunrise , Theme and Cooperation.
    I really enjoyed playing Witsun Wakes a couple of Years ago , a great test , loads for everyone to do ( even though bass trom players moan about lack of action , but who wants to hear a chainsaw noise for 15 mins...Ugh).
    All the flowers.....the list is pretty long for possibilities..
    but please no arrangements .
    we will never see Partita - W. Heaton used which is one of the greatest tests for brass players.
  12. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Not hugely bothered myself because I like to learn new pieces, but I'd probs like something 80's-ish in the top section - perhaps Dances and Arias if it hadn't been used in two big contests not so long ago.
  13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

HAHA!! So true!
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Much as I don't disapprove of the odd inclusion of arrangements now and again, there's been rather a few, particularly at top section level in recent years, so an original brass band work for all sections would get my vote.

'Hang on a mo, isn't this the guy who started a controversial thread entitled 'Contesting? Forget it' a while back?'

Yes indeed, but in any case, Arran Brass won't be entering the areas, and therefore won't be involved, so I'm just passing on a few casual thoughts for what they're worth (i.e. 'jack all')

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... that's a different thing altogether, Dave, as there are quite a few things wrapped in your arguments back then (... and still not resolved at any level!). I would like to see bands dragged into the 21st Century by the selection panel actually doing some research into recent musical developments, and not returning to the 'in vogue' select few composers who seem to be always picked (... or for that matter grabbing a few recordings to base their opinions on!). For the older pieces, the frequency of their use in general competition must be seen against other candidates for selection. What is to be considered old? Vinter's works are now more than 30 years old. Robert Simpson's last work (1987) was written almost 20 years ago. As masterful as pieces such as 'Freedom', 'Life Divine' and 'An Epic Symphony' (plus countless others by Eric Ball etc.) may be, is it not time to look at our more recent history to consolidate?
  16. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

For me i'd like to see:

Championship section: Tristan Encounters or Essence of Time
    1st Section: Diversions on a Bass Theme or London Overture
    2nd Section: The Plantagenets or Revolution
    3rd Section: Forth Suite or Oceans
    4th Section: Wilby's Partita for Band or Main Street

I'd really love to see Diversions on a Bass Theme used and Essence of Time.
  17. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Cambridge Variations Champ Section?

18. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

How about:

Champ: Chain or Stonehenge

1st Volcano

2nd Purcell Variations

3rd Tryptich

4th Partita (Wilby)
  19. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Tournament for brass, suite gothique

personally for the area I like pieces that are uncommon and that are not normally chosen for other contest, as the area is not just another contest, it is important. I would be disappointed if Saddleworth was the 3rd section piece for instance.
  20. NAS

NAS Member

Champ Section - Dove Descending
    1st Section - Variations On The Shining River
    2nd Section - Danceries (K Hesketh)
    3rd Section - Shine As The Light

Couldnt think of a 4th section piece:-(