If you were not a brass player, what would be your preferred instrument?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eflatbass, Jan 28, 2012.

1. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Imagine yourself as an internationally renowned soloist on anything other than a brass instrument.

1. What would be your chosen instrument?
    2. What famous concerto would you choose to perform?
  2. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

you of course mean Brass or Percussion player as this is a brass band forum, and we count as part of the same team!!

I would like to be able to play Double Bass, in a jazz band, all those walking bass lines and great solo's. . Round Midnight. . . oh yeah!
  3. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

Guitar, Voice, Eva Cassidy style.
  4. euph77

euph77 Member

I often feel that I should have played the saxophone as I have so many enquiries from people wanting me to teach them how to play it. :p
  5. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I would so want to play the piano to concert-pianist standard. I play the piano a little but, unless I practice like mad and learn a piece by heart, I have all the talent and musicality of a dyspraxic spider!! :oops: I'm pretty nifty on a typewriter, but only because I'm pressing one key at a time - give me different rythms on each hand and it all goes pear-shaped! For that reason I'd struggle on a set of drums too! The piano's the only single instrument where you can hear the whole thing ie the chords, the accompaniment, tune, etc at the same time and get the whole musical picture. :)
  6. classicbrass

classicbrass Member

Bass ( as in Electric bass ). In fact learning to play euphonium/baritone was an opportunity to learn to read music after years of trying to teach myself with no success. I was fortunate enough to pick up a cheap bass a few years ago and my understanding has come on leaps and bounds since learning music.
  7. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Me too, Fiona. Me too.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

When I was in primary school, the first instrument I heard lessons on was the clarinet. I couldn't get lessons and eventually took on piano and brass, but I still like good clarinet playing. Concerto? Aaron Copland's concerto written for Benny Goodwin is my favourite.
  9. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

'Cello......Elgar 'Cello Concerto , as well as Jaqualine Dupre' played it...........
  10. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Bumper-euph beat me to it. Same here.
  11. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

Northumbrian Smallpipes
    The Breamish / Wild Fells of Wannie

I did make a set of Smallpipes at night school!

Pete Scott
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  12. mdfreeman

mdfreeman Member

Classical Guitar....and rodrigo's guitar concerto
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

The list is almost endless, but top of the list would be a draw between bassoon and cello. Mozart bassoon concerto, Elgar cello concerto. Heaven!
  14. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Mouth Organ - like Larry Adler.
  15. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I play piano/keyboard as that is my 2nd instrument. I would love to be like one of my favourite virtuosi, eg Vladimir Ashkenazy, John Ogdon, Stephen Hough, Claudio Arrau, Artur Pizarro, etc!
  16. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The Elgar Cello Concerto transcribed for Viola by Lionel Tertis.

The first time it was played to Elgar, Tertis engaged Elgar in conversation, so that the player could surreptitiously tune the C string to B, thus allowing the whole of the second (third?) movement to be played at pitch
  17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Bass guitar for me. I think it has a great sound and is so versatile. I did buy one complete with amp and speaker about 35 years ago but never really got down to practicing it seriously. I regret to say that I eventually gave it away.

- Mr Wilx
  18. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

Trumpet and the chance to play Mahler 5 for me
  19. leisa

leisa Active Member

Flute! Passed Grade 7 on it before I had to choose between that and my cornet, didn't have time to do both and cornet won!
  20. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

I'm with the pianists on this...learnt it up to Grade 5 at school....It would have to be Beethoven's 4th piano concerto