If you were (brass band) God for a day . . .

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Beesa, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Beesa

Beesa Member

If I was brass band God for the day I would change ALL brass band music in all the brass band libraries, into C.

I'm sick of different music for Bb and Eb instruments (and Bass Trombone). Why can't it all be the same :-?

It might take a short while for everyone to learn but tough, at least then bands would be talking the same language as the rest of the musical world

(Actually, I'm trying to think this through, I'm not so sure it would be a good idea)

Anyway, any other thoughts on things that might need radically sorting in brass bands?

2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Sorry, Beesa, not meaning to hi-jack your thread, but I've just had a brilliant idea :idea:.

At the next census, we all put our religion down as 'Brass Band' (as the Star Wars fans did a few years ago, so 'creating' the Jedi religion). Once we had established 'Brass Band' as a religion there is NO WAY the Whit marches would be cancelled or otherwise interfered with.

I'm not sure who God would be, though :confused:
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

There's a census next year too isn't there? Let's do it! Makes more sense than flippin Jedi anyway....

If I were brass-band god for a day, I'd sort everyone's libraries and complete the sets of all their music. Nothing more annoying than deciding to play Black Knight at a concert and then discovering the last remaining third cornet and second trombone part got destroyed by a particularly heavy rain shower at a march contest two years ago....
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Oi, us Jedis are offended by that.:cool:
  5. The Wherryman

:clap::clap::clap:...you get my vote!!!
  6. Beesa

Beesa Member

Heh, it was meant to be an open thread. My initial thing is a real headache once you think it through.

Yeah about Whit Marches. Good idea.

In my rapidly approaching middle years, I went to watch the Whit Marches for the first time in 2008. A truly amazing event.

Every brass band person has to go at least once in their lives . . . although the first time is unlikely to be the last!

So religion: "Brass Band" it is then.
  7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Can you tell I was a librarian in a past life?

(Not just a band librarian either, i genuinely did have a job in a library!!)
  8. The Wherryman

Can you tell I'm a band librarian? I never have any trouble with the music while it stays in the cabinets, only when it's time to bring it in from the band (and if any of my band read this, only joking ;) - now where's that 'fingers-crossed-behind-the-back' smilie?)

It seems like the Brass Band religion can be put on hold, though. Obviously, Oldham Council read tMP and are in fear of the wrath of the Brass Band God. The Whit Walks are on again.
  9. BoBo

BoBo Member

God would be able to adjudicate all the areas and sections simultaneously and with perfect recall on the same day thereby guaranteeing consistency.

Wouldn't stop the whingers though would it?
  10. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Arban maybe?! He did write the brass band bible after all ;)
  11. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

If I were a brass band god for a day I would put a stop to threads about being a brass band God for a day.....
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Whaddaya mean, "if"? :biggrin:
  13. Elliebone

Elliebone Member

...I would allow all banders to give up work and make a living from banding. We could then have a contest season like a football season. Bands would compete on different styles and genres of music (not just march, hymn tune and test piece, but also solos, small groups, 10 piece, sightreading, working with conductors unknown to them etc. etc.) All of the results would go in monthly league tables and promotion and relegation would be based on the whole lot together. People would get behind their local band...we could sell scarves, replica uniforms and bad pies at the interval.....utopia!! :)
  14. floppymute

floppymute Member

Just never say "May the force be with you" to the trombone section! ;)
  15. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

No one is interefering with them are they? One of My favourite days of the year. I Take a Days leave, watch the parade at Uppermill stock up on fodd then back to the contests at Delph for 4 until it all wraps up. A great day.
  16. David Mann

David Mann Member

I'd redesign the 3rd finger so it was as agile as 1st and 2nd.
  17. blue juice

blue juice Member

I'd rob Roman Abramovich's bank account and pump all his money into brass band contest prize money. £2million for winning your area section sounds pretty fair.
  18. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I would ensure that everyone who plays in a brass band was MADE to listen to and appreciate other styles of music.

As someone from the more 'legit' side of the brass fence and having played with bands from all sections it still frustrates me how insular some bands can be, not all, but enough to matter.

I know there would be some protests but doing this would improve the brass band movement in the long run. IMO

Oh and btw, I've still yet to hear any brass band at any level who can swing properly :D Maybe this would fix that as well!
  19. The Wherryman

That it isn't rather supports my theory that God plays trombone :p
  20. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Bless you, my son....:)