If you like that, you'll love this....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Thirteen Ball, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Inspired by the long-running "What are you listening to?" thread, I had an idea for a bit of an experimental thread to pool all our respective musical knowledge and possibly broaden our horizons for anyone who's interested.

(Given that my threads usually poll about two replies we'll see how long it lasts!)

The idea is to post regarding music that you like listening to, ie: a favourite band or song, a concerto, symphony or whatever takes your fancy, and other kind TMpers will pop on and, based on that, will suggest other bands, songs etc. of a similar genre that might tickle your fancy. (It'd be easiest if we quote initial posts so we know who's suggesting what to who!)

For example, if brassbandmaestro popped on and said he's recently discovered Eddie Van Halen and was looking for a few more guitar gods to listen to, I might suggest he look up Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteen or Joe Satriani.

So I'll start:

Currently having one of my digressions back into the big hair and spandex era of metal, having unearthed an old copy of the album "Look what the cat dragged in" by Poison I've sparked an interest in the early 80s. Any suggestions for where I might explore next?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. David Mann

David Mann Member

Great idea - can't help you with your early '80s, but I'd like to know where to start with early Rock 'n' Roll. Chuck Berry? Any other sugesstions?

3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Little Richard?

4. Thirteen Ball

Have to say, I have an embarrassingly small amount of both Messers Berry and Richard. Could well be worth a look on Itunes.

Anyone else looking for suggestions or is it just me?

5. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

have you stolen the title from Classic fm? ;)

I've been listening to a lot of military music lately especially Royal Marines stuff...:biggrin:....Any suggestions?

6. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

When you say Military music do you refer to wind bands or marches in particular?

if it's the former then you will like the 1991 recording by the london syphonic wind orchestra conducted by Eric Banks

the disc has :

the pines of Rome

Pictures at an Exhibiton

Russian easter festival

7. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

both....

8. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Then you would also like this

In this Enigma Classic recording from 1979, the London Wind Orchestra perform music by Poulenc, Milhaud, and Percy Grainger. The ensemble line up reads like a 'who's who' of London's best players of the time, and the result is perhaps the performance of this music available on CD.

Percy Grainger
    - Molly on the Shore
    - Irish Tune from County Derry
    - Shepherd's Hey
    - A Lincolnshire Posy

Darius Milhaud
    - Suite Francaise

Francis Poulenc
    - Suite Francaise

The London Wind Orchestra is directed by Denis Wick.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There is also a companion disc by much the same players of music by Holst and Vaughan Williams.

If you want something in a rather lighter vein, seek out "Winds of power", a stuuning recording of music by Nigel Hess by a group with the title The London Symphonic Wind Orchestra.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hess-Winds-Power-Nigel/dp/B000038I6P

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Buddy Holly. Doesn't have the "cool" cachet of Berry or Richard but he couldn't half write a catchy tune. He was a top notch guitarist and later musicians including the Stones, Dylan and Lennon/McCartney have acknowledged his influence. The slower songs come over as a bit madulin by today's standards but the rockier stuff still sounds fresh - Oh Boy and That'll be the day, for example. Plus Don Mclean's American Pie lyric "the day the music died" refers to Holly's early demise.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    music
    genre
    thread
    knowledge
  12. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Carl Perkins - he wrote 'Blue Suede Shoes, which some other guy had a hit with.... ;)
    Eddie Cochran (Summertime Blues, 3 Steps to Heaven)

or for covers, John Lennon's 'Rock'n'Roll' album, or Dave Edmunds' 'Subtle As A Flying Mallet' (or most of his stuff, actually....)

13. Thirteen Ball

I just found a cover version of Chuck Berry's "Rock and Roll Music" as a B-side to the single "The masses against the Classes" by the manic street preachers!!

Not sure Mr Berry would have completely understood, but he'd certainly have appreciated James Dean Bradfield's guitar work.....

14. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Any reccommendations for someone who likes a lot of Sibelius' work, such as Finlandia, Karelia, etc.?

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Symphonies, especially 2 and 5 if you like a big finish. 7 is the best in my opinion, but it's a bit odd as an entry point.

16. PeterBale

I always think that William Walton's 1st Symphony has much in common with Sibelius: excellent recordings around, but I particularly like Previn's first version.

17. Thirteen Ball

Any reccomendations for someone who is just discovering Jazz?

I got given a CD of Jazz Standards like take the A-train and C Jam Blues recorded with more modern instrumentation (electric piano/synth and electric bass etc) and can't stop listening to it. That and "Chick, Donald, Walter, Woodrow" by the Woody Herman orchestra.

Anyone recommend anything similar I should look up?

18. Traditional (Dixie), Big Band, or Modern?

19. Thirteen Ball

I couldn't actually tell you....

Still very much a jazz newbie. Most of the stuff on this CD is re-recordings of Duke Ellington with more modern instrumentation if that helps....

20. PeterBale

Ellington covered such a wide period that there are lots of recordings to choose from, but I'd suggest seeking out some of the early recordings (20s to 30s), together with others such as Fletcher Henderson, King Oliver, McKinney's Cotton Pickers etc. Excellent ensemble playing - and quite subtle orchestration at times - coupled with innovative solo work.

21. Try to locate "Travelin Light" by Sam Pilafian. It is a jazz tuba album. Of course youtube has samples of most styles of jazz, and you don't spend a fortune experimenting with styles.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    music
    genre
    thread
    knowledge