If you had to buy a Bass Trombone.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Despot

Despot Member

.....which model would you buy?

Not immediately in the market for one, but will be in the not too distant future, so I'm doing my research well in advance! :D
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

3. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

God forbid I should ever have to buy one....but....my mate Jay (Imps) and others, unfortunate enough to have to try and blow the beasts, swear by Rath (don't know which model) and, to my failing ears, they do sound b****y good.

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

My brother's played Yamaha and holton and says they are both very good
  5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I can recommend my Yamaha 613H - good sound, and easy-blowing.

I used to have an Edwards, which was a great trombone, but I had a lot of problems with the Thayer valves. The brochure doesn't tell you that yoiu have to take the trombone to bits in order to oil the valves, which took up a lot of time, and they clanked a great deal. I tried a Rath once and was most impressed, but experience with the Edwards put me off unconventional valves, hence the Yamaha. IMO, the valves on the Yamaha give just as good results as those claimed for Thayer valves, by the simple expedient of using "ordinary" rotary valves, but making them a lot bigger.

Conn have just brought a new bass trombone out, which should be worth looking at.
  6. Fridge

Fridge Member

Definitley a Rath!!!
    Theres nothing wrong with the edwards though, and although some people have rubbished them the Besson Sovereigns with Hagemann valves are a good blow. But at the end of the day its down to what you like, try everything!!
  7. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

If you're on a budget, I've been well impressed by the Getzen Eterna I bought off BigBone1812 last week. You can get one in from the states for about £1200 or in th UK for about £2000

If I wasn't on a budget, it probably would have been either a rath or an edwards
  8. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yamaha YBL613H
  9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I'm going tp have to go for the besson sovereign as an outside choice. It's got a few problems, but nothing you can't cope with.
  10. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

A few years ago, I took the time to have a bit of a fiddle with quite a few bass troms ata display at our Nationals.

Jupiter - waaaaaaaay too much backpressure. pedal notes don't like to speak nicely, only growl.

Besson - Nice trombone. Good size (I like 'em big!!) good response, good slide. Bad reputation though.......

Bach - I don't get the hype over the Bach's. Yes they look nice, and they do play fairly well, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Edwards - now THIS is a trombone!!! She can purr or blast. Sing, or drone. And the options you can have with it.....wowie!!

Rath - Only been in Australia for 2 years or so now....a friend has bought a Bb/F and I had a fiddle. the Slide was a little too thick for me, but that's comparing apples to potatoes, I 'spose...

Yamaha - Another bad reputation. Supposedly the slide requires a LOT of maintennance. Don't like thje concept of detachable trigs or single trig bass troms.

Besson or Edwards for me.....if I had the $$$$$$'s
  11. Okiedokie of Oz

Just wanna point out, my current bass bone of (not my) choice is a King Duo Gravis. Does the Job, capable of immense flexibility....just hate the goddarned Dependant triggers!!!
  12. Bassbones

Bassbones Member

I'm just starting to look also but there are so many alvailable at the mo so here,s a quick history of my experiences.Holton Tr181 was where I started about 15years ago loved it dearly but was overtaken by the Edwards bug when they 1st came into the country a few years ago.Went down to Rosehill compared 3 Edwards against my then Holton &was told by the salesman that I was wasting my money.Nothing against the instruments but just not right for me,it may have been the limited selection at the time as I must stress they were new to the country & tough to get hold of.I couldn't get anyone of them to sound as rich as the Holton.I sold the Holton as I had a short break from banding.On my return I played a old VB50b3 belonging to Paul Warder from Leyland band lovely instrument but very unforgiving if not in absolute practice.A King Duogravis not for me at all I'm afraid!.My own VB50b3 which was useless & back full circle to Holton.Currently in dialemma with Rath having played a couple belonging to friends, 2things put me off.Firstly having to be totally sure of what you want although he will spend whatever time it takes to make you happy with the instrument you need a starting point.Secondly the cost involved in the purchase.The other one on my hitlist to try will probably be a courtois don't like the tenors but really quite like the basses.Has anyone else any experience of them?if so how do they compare & which model do you have? :?
  13. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I use an Edwards. it has to be the best Bone i have ever used. I agree with what okey said.

You can get it to purr in the quiet passages. All the way up to being a wall of sound when required. With all the stages inbetween.

I will admit though it did take some getting used to. It did need a lot of air to fill. More than normal. But now im used to her i would never go back to anything else.

The only drawback is she is a heavy old beast. When you put her down after a good practice your back shoulders and wrist know about it.
    But i love her.

Extra bonus got her really cheap.

Thanks to
    Sober Phil for selling her.

On to the Rath's a good pal of mine has one. I have had a go on it a few times. And im not sure about it.

Its 18 Months old and the slide quality is terrible On the inner stocking its worn down to base metal and fells really gritty. "Bleaurgh" Not my cup of tea.

And those Haagman valves. Seem to me to be very unresponsive and sluggish. But thats just my opinion of it.

Sound wise its good. Really good. But just doesnt seem to have been put together for regualr. use.
    I know my pal is going to take it back. Lets hope Mick can get it sorted.
  14. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

No problem mate. It was a good deal for you and our band.

She didn't suit me - it was all razz and no guts. I guess maybe if I'd persevered longer maybe I'd have got to grips with her. I also didn't like the response from the Thayer valves - too sluggish for my liking.

I must admit though I did find the pedal register a lot more responsive than on my Holton - which I feel can be a bit restrictive at times - especially if I'm not in really top nick. Reckon that pedal Ab would be ringing round for days...
  15. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I will admit its not the easiest instrument to play. YOu have to work hard all the time she is not a forgiving Trom.

But thats they way i like it. Being a lazy *beep* i think i need it like that
  16. Okiedokie of Oz

As a tuba player, air is not an issue, nor is weight. I prefer one where the pedals don't suck the air out of you, which the Edwards didn't for me, and I like knowing my trombone is there. I may regret saying that on a street march while dressing, but any other time...... :)
  17. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Again it took time for me to get used to that. Ended up putting far to much volume on the pedals. And obliterating the band. Oopps :oops: :oops:

Thinking of sending mine in for some addtional work being done. Im considering having the Bullet Bracing fitted. heard this can help with the weight distribution.

unless anyone has a DIY suggestion.
  18. Okiedokie of Oz

I've only ever seen the one ad for it, and to be honest, it looked rather tacky. Be a man, I say!
  19. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

But it is starting to affect my beer holding abilities now.

Thats my big concern

So far, I have played a Con 112 (average, though not that great down below), Yamaha 321 and 421 (old basic models, but not a bad sound considering the age and condition of the instruments: good for a beginner), vincent bach 50B (well overrated! sound seemed more suitable to orchestral parts: no real character), king duo gravis (good sound, but the dependent triggers put me off) and am now on a holton tr181 which is by far the Best of the bunch. Good sound at all dynamics (not just on and off!)

However, I managed I have played a Rath that belongs to chris stern - a tutor at the RSAMD who gives me the odd lesson to keep me on the right tracks. He works with Michael Rath to help develop the trombones. I must admit that I fell in love with it almost immediately: fantastic trombone which is well worth every penny.

It is my intention to buy a rath eventually: unfortunately as I work for Local Authority, it is likely that I will have to wait for a large number of years before I will be able to afford one.

I'll just keep putting on the lottery ticket!