If you could have

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GingerMaestro, Mar 5, 2007.

?

Who Would you have

1. Allan Morrison cornet / conductor

13.5%
  2. Nick Childs conductor

26.9%
  3. Robert Childs conductor

5.8%
  4. Peter Roberts Sop

15.4%
  5. Kirsty Abbotts

5.8%
  6. Michelle Ibbotson

1.9%
  7. David Childs

11.5%
  8. Michael Dodd

3.8%
  9. Glyn Williams

1.9%
  10. David Thornton

3.8%
  11. Shaun Crowther

3.8%
  12. Stuart Baglin

1.9%
  13. Chris Jeans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Jonathan Pippin

1.9%
  15. Doug Yeo

1.9%
  1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I know 1 player doesn't make a band but...

If you could have just one of the countries Top Principal players in your band who would it be

For me it would have to be Allan Morrison

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Allan Morrison
    band
    countries
    Principal players
  3. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Sorry about my spelling on the poll
    if the Mods would be so king to adjust them I would much apreciate it

i.e. Should be Glyn Williams

4. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I went for Peter Roberts on sop, simply because as a band we have no soprano player currently! And far be it for me to depart from the usual and stick up for the girly instruments, but why are there no horn players up there?

5. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

well i've gone for Michael Dodd...

I have the priveledge of 1on1 tuition from Michael and his technique is, in my opinion, exemplary. He can also play piano and trombone to the same high standard as euph. (and learnt me to circular breathe using a genuine aberigenie didgeridoo!)

I've learnt so much from him in such a short space of time, and the improvement in my sound and technique has amazed me.

I have also had the good fortune of being able to hear/see Michael play with Grimethorpe week in week out for a number of years as my father Mick played second cornet there until april 2006 (before the dream team ended).

Michael Dodd to me is truly an amazing musician.

If i had to choose someone to play to save my life - it would be him...

6. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

I chose David Thornton for 2 reasons: 1 - I had the great pleasure of conducting a concert with him as guest soloist a couple of years ago, and 2 - Brett Baker isn't on the list.

Both of these guys were tremendous soloists, happy to work with a 3rd section band, and sit in and play after they'd done their party pieces

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I went for David Childs, but I'd also mention another name that's missing, that being Nick Hudson. We did an excellent concert with him a while ago, and he'd be a real asset!

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

My top three choices weren't up there as I would take Dave King as conductor well above all else.

Also, given in the States, many of our tenor horns haven't quite developed the proper tone (nor technique) I would take Owen or Sheona next (can't believe no tenor horns on the list?!)

Given the choices and the fact that our band has a brillant solo cornet and solo trombone, I'll have to pick one of the euphs...not sure just yet which one though as they are all fantastic!

9. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

seconded

10. barrytone

barrytone Member

Who would you pick

Nick Childs for me, being in a band he conducted on several occasions was a wonderful experience, brought so much out of all the players, absolutely marvellous.

11. Texus

Texus Member

Superb players and musicians one and all. For me, it would have to be Pip, if only because of his ability to drink and play pool at stupidly late hours.

Seriously though... They are all awesome, and have made great contributions to the movement.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Allan Morrison
    band
    countries
    Principal players
  13. MISS PITCH

MISS PITCH Member

i picked David Thornton because his name reminds me of the chocolate shop :D

14. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Never heard of "David's chocolates" will look out for that!

but I think you have to go for Nick Childs as you MD with the hope that his profile will attract half the players off the list anyway! Id form a breakaway band and name it "Davids chocolate shop band". think it will take off? :D

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Too many glaring ommissions for me to choose. Surprised you didn't include Roger Webster; one of the most respected players in banding or David Daws from the SA side of things. As it's only a bit of fun, might it also be worth mentioning some great players from the past? It would never be possible, but I would love to play in a dream band with Maurice Murphy, Bill Lang, Lyndon Baglin.... The list is endless. I'll just have to keep listening to my old records!

16. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

David Daws is light years ahead of the rest for me.