If you could go anywhere where would you go?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Feb 3, 2006.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Right, after reaching the height of boredom yesterday Cornet King and i devised a wonderful plan of travelling the world on a fiver, (obviously we havent thought through the practicalites of this idea yet! but it seemed like a good idea at the time!)

Top places to visit were;
    The North pole (to see the polar bears) (not my choice!!)
    Austrailia and New Zealand,
    And finally we plan to "do America!!"

If you could go anywhere, where would you go? Or if you have been somewhere but would love to go there again where would that be?!

Oh and i'm sure any ideas on how to actually get around the world with only a fiver would be much appreciated too! :)
  2. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Ah yes our sporadic travels. Reckon we could 'Do America' better than Beavis and Butthead did!

Russia and China are definately my top places for history and culture, and then the Polar Bears thrown in for a once in a lifetime experience.

With that in mind i think we should slightly raid the bank and up our budget to a slightly dizzy £7.50 exc VAT. (although tax dodger Matt 'Annie' Lawson will probably have half of that for tax the lay about tax dodging git ;) )
  3. sugarandspice

Yes, i can see how being eaten by a polar bear would be a once in a life time experience. Be warned tho. If you do get eaten i'm carrying on with out you!
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Well as long as you realise that for Mr Hoyle to be away from the Greater Manchester area on whits weekend will need prior permission from tMP management first.... just remember that eh before you pack your bags...;)
  5. The Cornet King

Then Mr Music Man i'm afraid im gonna have to ask permission now...as i'll be with the mighty Emley going for Whit Friday glory. Hopefully will bump into you though...I'm gutted i cant be with tMP band again, but there'll definately be many more times in the future.

Can make Saddleworth the first leg of our travels!

*hides behind the couch for fear of a tMP management retribution*
  6. sugarandspice

Oooh can i do whits weekend too! Right, so no traveling till after june, we could start a collection, might get another fiver from it! thats another countrys budget!
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Given the required bunce I'd go to Bhutan, in the Himalaya between India and China. Fascinating place. And I'd like to go back to Rome; me and the better half are saving that for our 1oth wedding anniversary next year.

There is a student competition each year (I think it's at Oxford/Cambridge, but could be wrong) where students raise money for charity by getting sponsorship to see how far they can get for no money at all. I don't remember the rules but you have to hitch lifts, beg/borrow free tickets and food etc. I think people are only really expected to get to Brighton, or Aberystwyth, or somewhere similar but recently someone made it to somewhere ridiculous like Yokohama by working their passage on a container ship. So £7.50 is, frankly, excessive:D
  8. sugarandspice

Now that sounds like a plan! :) I think i'll let CK do the working bit tho, i'll just look pretty :)

Seriously tho, sounds like that could be a lot of fun, depending on how confortable you are on hitching lifts with total strangers these days!
  9. Anno Draconis

Or how comfortable you are swabbing the decks on a Japanese container ship in a force 10 round Cape Horn;)

"'ow are you feeling today?"
    "better zan...yesterday?"
  10. sugarandspice

Yeah so ummm Japan isnt going on the list!
  11. Anno Draconis

On a serious note (and I know this will sound desperately dull to lots of people) I really fancy going on the Trans-Siberian Railway, finishing up in Beijing.
  12. sugarandspice

So are you another Chinese History/Culture fan? Or do you just like the food?! (which is soo totally not the reason why i'm going!!) ;) :)
  13. ruthatron

ruthatron Member

i'd love to go to iceland, just because it looks spectacular on so many of the photos/films i've seen of it! in fact, i have many places i'd like to go. africa (on a safari), tokyo, australia (to see sydney, ayers rock and any other places that take my fancy!), rome, athens, barcelona (to see all the gaudi architecture). i want to "do america" too, been to NYC, going to Chicago in the summer, so it's not going too badly!
  14. sugarandspice

Oooh i get the chance to do teaching practice there next year, would certainly be an experience!
  15. Steve

Steve Active Member

Bradford - Burton on trent - Luxemburg - Blackpool - Cambridge - Saddleworth - Brimingham - London - Prestatyn - Skegness <loop>

Tickets already booked. Doesnt look as good as last year :(

I really want to see some of Scandanavia, do the far east properly and do the inca trail. Wishful thinking though.
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

What?!? :eek: I don't think so!! "Till death us do part" it says on the Emley registration form!! :mad:

Why on earth would you want to play with any band other than The Emley, when quite obviously we'll be Championship section in 5 years and whupping Dykes behind in every village there is????

'Ave it!

I always fancied going to Machu Picchu, always seemed like an interesting place to me.
  17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Tortola in the British Virgin Islands gets my vote.
  18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Unalaska, but for a number of reasons, this year's trip there is on hold...
  19. vonny

vonny Member

I seem to have got the travelling bug... In November 2005 myself and Keely visited America (Boston). Two weeks ago I went to Tunisia and sometime this year i want to visit Thailand...
  20. The Cornet King

Have to agree with that one, would be a fascinating place, my Uncle has been and he says its amazing.

Vietnam and Cambodia are meant to be really beautiful as well, definately not somewhere you might think of immediately, but they're meant to be fascinating places.