If the UK were a village of 100 people

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MoominDave, Jul 21, 2009.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Interesting article in the Independent online:
    Good way to gain a meaningful perspective on what we are as a group of people. I must admit, it makes the UK seem rather a cosy place to me...
    The posted comments at the bottom of the article are mostly pretty daft - let's see if we can do better here...

Some of the points that were interesting to me:

Only 8 people would be Scottish - and 84 would be English. I knew that the English were in the majority in the UK, but not nearly by how much. The same number of people as would be Scottish - 8 - would not be described as "white".

72 people would claim to be Christian - but only 10 would actually attend a church. Only 2 would be Muslim. So much for the tabloid-style hate- and scare-mongering stories of Britain disappearing under a wave of Islam. Very interesting that the majority of the village would be 'lapsed' Christians though - using the term as a cultural identifier rather than a faith one. 15 people would be described as "not religious" - but I daresay that a fair number of those 62 non-practising-Christians might quite fairly be added to that number?

Approx. 6 people would be homosexual. Reactions to this number (which I've seen before put at about 10) seem to come in two types - those who take an interest in this kind of thing cry "underestimate", while those who don't cry "overestimate". 1 person in 17 doesn't seem unreasonable to me, based on my circles of friends.

3 people would be proper vegetarians. Seems low to me, I think? Probably the circles I move in have more veggies than average, though.

Which of the points made you think?
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Interesting, I hope those fanatics we know as the BNP have read this also!

3. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

at a guess : one quarter a person would play a brass instrument. Most likley a trombone. 10 woud play guitar, 1 woodwind and 1 violin ( though they have to live on their own island ) :)
  4. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Would look at the site, but the over-active Council blocking system decides that the Independant is in fact adult material.
  5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I've seen a similar article like this representing the population of the world. While I can't remember the numbers off hand there were some very alarming statistics.

Less than a third would be educated, a quarter would not reach their 30th birthday etc. etc. Certainly makes us realise we are in the minority in that we in the UK have a roof over our heads, have access to education, healthcare, unemployment and child benefits, pensions, brass bands etc.

With regards to the actual article, Dave, I agree that some numbers seem high and some seem low. Perhaps if you take into account the whole of the UK population, we realise that the company we keep reflects our own social status, lifestyle choice etc. For example, in my work I encounter absolutely no muslims, but quite a lot of homosexual people. In my village, most people are white christians who wear a blue rosette whenever there is an election. However, if I lived on a housing estate in Clapham (to pluck one place out of mid air) those statistics might be very different.

Out of 100 people, I wonder how many people would play in a brass band.:rolleyes:
  6. MoominDave

As an aspirational lifestyle choice? 100, of course! :wink:
  7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

25 + percussion and a conductor ?
  8. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

No aspiration for an audience then ?
  9. MoominDave

The village could have four brass bands, each of whose members could take it in turns to go to each other's concerts.
  10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Surely that should read 17 with 8 deps from the next village?
  11. stevetrom

you must be joking - go to another bands concert - only if they want me as a dep !!!
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

These surveys always seem to throw up some interesting points, and often ask more questions than they are able to answer.

Regarding the English/Scottish question, are they basing that on the numbers of people residing in England and Scotland, or on those claiming that particular ancestry? I suspect the former, in which case they have come up with a rather misleading answer.

As to the various minorities, I think part of the concern is that they do tend to have an influence which is quite disproportionate to their actual numbers, which is what causes alarm in some circles. Don't get me wrong, I am very keen on everyone being able to exercise their own religious and cultural beliefs, but this should encompass all groups, and not just those in a minority.
  13. stevetrom

you only have to look at the current government !!! :D
  14. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

I'd like to see the number of people affected by cancer in that. I bet that would be a surprising statistic. I can say that from personal experience after being diagnosed myself at 39 and talking to friends and family about it. Everyone knows someone close who has it or a relative who has it. The positive is the number of survivors is also probably a surprising number too. I can say that from personal experience too, of course!
  15. MoominDave

Isn't the usual statistic that something like one third of us will get it at some point? Obviously the number of those unlucky enough to get it before old age is rather smaller - see here:
    Apparently, approximately 1 in 10 cancer cases occur in people under the age of 50.
  16. Robhibberd29

So that's like saying Scotland 4 times over! Not sure about the 1 in 10 under fifty bit...that sounds conservative to me after what I've seen
  17. MoominDave

So, assuming that every cancer case is in a different individual (not likely, but makes things simpler; I don't know how inaccurate an assumption this is, really), then if 1/3 of people will get it at some point, and 1/10 of cancer cases are in those under 50, then 1 person in every 30 will get it before the age of 50. Does that sound likely to you?
  18. Robhibberd29

In the Village of a hundred scenario it sounds like an extremely conservative estimation
  19. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I agree.