If Liverpool can have a thread, so can the mighty Hammers!

Discussion in 'General Sports Chat' started by andywooler, Dec 30, 2007.

1. euphymike

euphymike Member

I played at upton park one recent christmas. Well outside the main entrance for an hour playing carols. We then got invited in to watch west ham whoop Chelsea. I may live in east london but I'm not a hammers fan! come on you hammers?
    OK

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Lucky you, Mike! The year Becontree played carols in the freezing cold, all we got to see was a 0-1 defeat against Aston Villa. 89 minutes of WHU pressure and a fluke double deflection goal won it at the other end!

3. euphymike

euphymike Member

a late and slightly lucky first half penalty got WHU on the scoreboard first that day. However, the main thing that caught the frozen soles of east london brass that day was the USS Enterprise coach that Chalsea limo'd in on. After the bone shaker we had previously endured to Harrogate on we all agreed it looked the business. pS we had a far nicer one the year after. Thank you Martin.

4. Backrowdiva

Backrowdiva Member

All us Coventry fans will be shouting for you tonight.

5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Massive pressure on West Ham to do the biz at Wembley, even qualifying through the playoffs is a poor return for a league they should have dominated.

6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I much prefer Blackpool to be promoted, at least they try to play football and entertain, whereas Sam and his hoof and hope tactic

7. Will the Sec

Not much argument about either statement, really. As i said when West Ham were top, they were only there because of the mediocrity of the rest. Southampton were a surprise, staying the course especially after their post christmas slump, but Reading were, for me, the team of the year.

Strangely, though, I think with the current crop of players, if the Hammers win at Wembley, they'll do OK in the top flight. We'll see.............

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Can I have a pound every time you say, write or type BWH from now until next May then :rolleyes:

9. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

and you've been to how many west ham games since Sam took over? Whilst there has been some long ball tactics, it is by no means what happens every game. I have seen some scintillating passing football there this season - not the story the TV want to show in their edited highlights though. Conversely, I went to the Arsenal Norwich game over the weekend and if that was the only game you saw all season, you would never think Arsenal could actually pass the ball.

10. StellaJohnson

I've seen enough and I can afford Sky to see the live games and there has been plenty of them this season and the Beeb. Are they putting up there best footballing performance away from the cameras?

11. Will the Sec

Nah, away from Upton Park.

12. Will the Sec

But, Stella, the main criticism from the faithful this year has been "We play on the floor" to various tunes, so the use of the long ball can't have been that prevalent.

13. StellaJohnson

we will have to see then if Westy Ham get promoted how well they do.

14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Fingers crossed for West Ham in Final would be nice to see them back in prem

15. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Indeed Will. I certainly don't have rose (or claret) coloured glasses - there was plenty of "hoof" chants at the gooners game i attended too.
    Still, at least our attempt to return to the premier league and compete there has not been done through buying a team like some. Gold & Sullivan are also doing their best to run the club on a proper commercial footing. (Unlike the Icelandic fools who ran the club for a while).

Thanks for the kind thought Ian - we'll look forward to those 6 points. make sure you get to the game!

16. Will the Sec

Ah, yes. Difficult to think that Dalglish could quote Shankly at the moment. "Ah, West Ham. Nice ground, nice players, nice manager, nice board, nice football. Two points."

17. dyl

dyl Active Member

True. It's three points for a win these days! ;)

18. Will the Sec

Dyl! Long time! How are you?

19. Will the Sec

Due to the foresight of the Band's Conductor in not having an afternoon rehearsal ahead of tomorrow's concert (which features a world premiere of a brass band piece by the noted Blue Grass zither player, Yolanda Trussington), I will be able to watch the whole game as long as it doesn't go to penalties!

20. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Send my regards to Yolanda. Hope the premiere goes well, as well as the footie.

Can't wait for the East London roads to be snarled up again, when West Ham start getting 38000 attendance again :mad: