IE7.0 Beta released....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jan 31, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

2. rutty

rutty Active Member

Just a word of warning. Don't expect this to work - it might break your system. It's still in beta and probably unstable and as IE is essentially part of the Windows Operating System if it goes wrong it could have a terminal effect on your machine's code.

If you really want to try it out back everything up first otherwise you risk losing it.
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

It's also a good idea to set a restore point on your PC before you download a major program
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Knowing Microsoft it may well do that even when it's an official full release:mad: ; I only installed IE6 about 6 months ago once I was confident they'd sorted all the bugs.
  5. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I'll be sticking with Firefox then!
  6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I agree, after 6 motnhs on Firefox, I'll never go back to IE.

As you can see here Link IE 7 has already caused snags straight from its launch
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

But it hasn't been "launched". Beta means that it isn't finished yet - it's not even in the last round of testing. While I am not particularly found of IE (I'm using Firefox right now), it still commands about 85% of the market share, and therefore cannot be ignored by those of us developing web-based apps. Beta testing is all about letting the heavy users find bugs that wouldn't be found through in-house testing, and getting feedback on new features. A beta test that found no bugs wouldn't be a very good test.

Micro$oft has been very open (for them) with their development plans for this version, and early indications are that they have made great strides toward being compliant with the W3C recommendations, although in their own way. The "real" IE 7 will probably debut with Windows Vista.
  8. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Ok so I've gotten the beta version, and I'm not too fond of it. But it doesn't appear on my add/remove programs to uninstall and when i try to return to the old version, it won't let me install it because a newer version is already installed. Any suggestions (other than using firefox)?
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

hmmmm .... try "open add/remove programs, then check the "show updates" at the top. it's listed near the bottom to uninstall."
  10. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Thanks, that seems to have worked.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- glad to hear that!
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Does anyone have any positive experiences of this release...? I haven't tried it yet, so would appreciate any comments or thoughts...
  13. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

YES! ive been using it on one of my machines and havent had any probs at all! its v quick, and a big improvement on what i had before