Ideas for different finishes - colours.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JohnnyEuph, Oct 4, 2006.

1. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

I currently have a Silver Prestige Euph with the customary Gold Trim, Not sure if anyone else has found this but the 'Gold' has started to fade.
    I'm thinking of getting them refinished at some point - and I reckon a titanium finish would look pretty nice -but different in contrast with the silver.
    Does anybody have any different ideas or combinations?

2. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

when i say replating, I may also mean powder coat.

3. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

You should go for the 'vintage' look Sandy Smith had a couple of years back, that's pretty cool. Or how about something similar to the red finish you sometimes see on trumpets and saxes? Not keen on it meself but worth considerin ;)

4. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I've just bought a bright red trumpet with gold accents!! Looks amazing!! but can't really see it on a euph myself...:rolleyes:

Never seen a rose laquer euph, but rose is SOOOO nice!! :biggrin:

Ian, what finish is your flugel, because that is GORGEOUS! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

What about this?

On a slightly more serious note, I assume you're only thinking of replacing the "trim" rather than changing the finish of the whole instrument, because changing the whole finish (e.g. from SP to lacquer) would have an impact on the sound.

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I assume you mean me Vic? :biggrin:

Garry was talking about your red trumpet the other night - bet it looks great with the pink mouthpiece...;) :eek:

My flugel is just plain ole' lacquer with a copper bell - standard Kanstul finish. I does look nice though I have to admit, but all the problems start when I start blowing it...:rolleyes:

I'm a fan of the "scratched" lacquer finish that the likes of Eclipse etc do - especially with a copper bell, but for pure gorgeousness have a look at this custom-made Taylor flugel made from naturally aged copper. I reckon that looks the biz.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  7. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Vintage look? Should I buy some big glasses too

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  8. Bungle

Bungle Member

Looks like something a plumber put together:eek:

9. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

....Yes, I'm just referring to the blonde highlights on the instrument - i'm actually suprised its fading i've only had the instrument about 5 years!

Anyway, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the silver plate, I picked the instrument in silver so there's no intention of changing that! just trying to decide what else other than gold will go with it!

10. persins

persins Member

Our principal cornet player has just had her cornet overhauled and it came back silver plated with gold on the inside of the bell! That looks pretty cool!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Euph
    Silver
    Gold
    Gold Trim
    different ideas
  12. no2taz

no2taz Member

i was in rob burnetts a about a year or so ago in south wales and he ahad a besson euph jujst in that had been re finnished in a smoked crome and looked FANTASTIC and so clasy every angle you looked at it a different feature stood out

SMOKE CROME ( mimp my euph ) hehe

13. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

smoke chrome, sounds tasty

14. no2taz

no2taz Member

yea it was looked so stylish and tastefull a new complete moddern look and feel. never seen anything like it it was a sovreighn euph and it was on display could not keep myself from looking at it and i am a cornet player so it was not the fact that it was a euph if you catch my drift.....

15. thecapoots

thecapoots New Member

Have you ever seen the "Stealth" model that Hirsbrunner does? It's a black lacquer with gold accents. Dunno how it sounds or plays (in my experience, Hirsbrunners sound great as long as you don't want anyone to hear you), but it looks pretty sharp. You can see it at www.custommusiccorp.com. As for what other accents you could get for your Prestige... Hmmm. I'd be afraid that the smoked chrome wouldn't really be that much different. Maybe if you could find a coloured lacquer, or even black?

Though you should totally have the same thing done to your mouthpiece... I have a Yamaha Custom with the same gold trim, and I use a Gold SM4. It really looks cool and brings the visual aspect of things together.

16. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

That Hirsbrunner Stealth model is indeed gorgeous. But I think a more 'stealthy' look would be to have regular nickel plating instead of the 14k Gold... more durable as well.

I know I love the two-tone finish of my Jupiter 470L, even though I thought I preferred the basic nickel plating look of the Yamaha YEP-321.

A friend has a red-chrome plated pocket trumpet with gold accents and it's pretty awesome as well. Another has a black Flugel with nickel accents which is pretty spiffy too.

Tough call. Maybe you can get someone to PhotoChop a picture of your horn and manipulate the colors for a better idea.

17. thecapoots

thecapoots New Member

Actually, anytime there's gold plating on an instrument (as far as I know, anyway), it's actually brass that's been plated with silver, then plated again in gold. Apparently gold doesn't like to stick to brass all that well. So durability isn't really much of an issue. The Stealth (again, as far as I know... I don't have intimate knowledge of the manufacturing technique) is simply a black lacquer over the brass. It's more or less the same as any clear-lacquered instrument, just... black instead of brass-coloured.

People with more knowledge of this... please feel free to back me up or correct me.

18. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

19. thecapoots

thecapoots New Member

Ooooh... now that's hot. I might have to look into that...

20. L J

L J Member

Colours

What I find difficult to understand is why some people take all the lacquer off their instrument and leave the raw brass look.
    Again they seem to think it helps the sound - but to my thinking it has very little to do with the instrument and more with the player.
    I don't think a person who is say, playing a Sovereign or some other similar type of instrument will have their sound improve if they take all the lacquer off?
    What is the feeling out there - do many of the Brass Bands in the UK do that or is it just a phen. here in North America?

21. thecapoots

thecapoots New Member

The thought process on that is that a raw brass bell will allow the bell to vibrate more freely, since the metal isn't covered up with another material. The thinner, lighter material will allow the instrument to respond more quickly and the sound will have more overtones in it... that is, there will be more depth of sound coming out of the instrument. It's kinda the same idea as the thin-wall bells they put on the Conn 88H.

I'll admit that my personal trombone-- a Bach 42BO-- has no lacquer on the bell. It was removed by its previous owner. The instrument does seem to respond better than other Bachs that I've played, and the sound does seem to have more overtones in it.

As to whether the improvement in sound is the player or the instrument... well... The instrument is merely a tool. It (presumably) allows you to get as close as you can to the sound that's in your head. But you're right-- an instrument can only do so much.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Euph
    Silver
    Gold
    Gold Trim
    different ideas