Ideas for Choir & Band needed!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SKYROCKET, Sep 4, 2006.

SKYROCKET New Member

I am in need of ideas for a Brass Band and Choir concert. I've done a bit of searching around and there doesn't seem to be much repetoire.
    The choir is of a good standard and the band is 1st section. We'd like not have to do something too formal and "major" - i.e. nothing like the Messiah.
    We'd prefer to do something thats varied and has a mixture of moods.

Anyone if you have some ideas, please help!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

We will have an arrangement for Brass Band & Choir of "Kumbaya" by Colin Dance out next month - it is simple, effective and has some lush harmonies in it. I can send you a couple of pages of the score if you are interested.
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

4. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Karl Jenkins' 'The Armed Man' transcibed by Gibbs and Wainright for band and choir! Pretty tough, but manageable! Will try and get hold of some details for you!!
    EDIT: Pm Wainy2004 for more details
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

There's an arrangement of the Phantom Menace (Andrew Duncan I think off the top of my head...correct me if I'm wrong :-? ) with optional choir parts
  6. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Is Finlandia too formal? Not too hard and goes down well.
  7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Hello Dolly arr Klaus van der Woude is one you can use with Choir
    Keith Griffin has done a brilliant arrangement of Finlandia ( played the Manuscript parts a few years ago with Choir on tour in America)
    Soldiers Chorus from Faust is a good laugh to do with band / male voice choir
    Gwahoddiad is another audience pleaser...
    we played a piece earlier on this year some of the movements could be used as just band / choir items if it was available am sure it would be worth looking at..
    hope these help
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Also the Philip Sparke transcription of Hymn to the Fallen from Saving Private Ryan has wordless choir parts - if you order this make sure you ask them to put in the choir parts which I think are charged separately to the band parts.
  9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Another we've done in the past is Morte Criste. And what about Sosban Fach?
  10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Aye the Gareth Wood arrangement Of Sospan Fach is for band and choir ( words on the score I think
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

What sort of choir is it? Male voice, SATB?

There are several pieces arranged by Nigel Horne for band and choir:

Zadok the Priest (SATB)
    Requiem Aeternam (composed by Nigel) - the Sanctus is particularly good.
    Lo He comes with Clouds descending (Male voice choir)
    The Huron Carol

There also a couple of Christmas pieces
    A West Riding Christmas
    While Shepherds Watched.

All of the above are available from me (I'm one of the UK agents for Nigel's publishing company) and you'll get a 10% discount on the list price.
  12. dickyg

dickyg Member

see 'Christmas music' at for a good arrangment of O come, O come Emmanuel for SATB and Brass Band