Ideas for an encore?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I'm going to see about doing the euph solo "The Better World" with my band but thought it would be good to do a slow encore item as well, to try and look professional if nothing else :) , but I can't really think of any that would go after this piece. I was thinking along the lines of salvation army but the only slow solo i've got is There Will be God, and that is really knackering.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

depending on your point of view, "My Way" is slow, and professional, and a classic encore.
  3. Active Member

How about Annie Laurie by David Catherwood?
    It's the last track on Derick Kane's solo CD Lyric Variations.
  4. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

Instant concert!!! :twisted: :evil:

:oops: :wink:
  5. Mate I hear there is a nice little number called "Euphonium Concerto" by Torstein Aagard Nilsen - you might want to give it a quick 5 minutes tweaking before your gig.
  6. NAS

NAS Member

Jeannie With The Light Brown Hair? :D
  7. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Don't know what else you have programmed, but for my money Summer Isles from Hymn of the Highlands is a great slow Euph solo.
  8. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Share my yoke is a nice salvation army slow melody, don't know how suitable it'd be for an encore though. One of my fav slow solos
  9. jobriant

jobriant Member

This spring I premiered my own arrangement of "A Night in June," a lovely little selection by the American wind band composer Karl K. King. The original version features the euphonium, and I re-wrote it as a solo. It was well-received on all three of the concerts where we (The Pacific Brass) played it.

I wrote is so that I could have something to demonstrate the Ophicleide, but the solo part is also perfectily suitable for Baritone or Euphonium.

"A Night in June" is in print, but not yet listed on my Bayside Music Press website. If you're interested, please e-mail me at [ ] for more information.
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We've featured "Share my yoke" on euph a few times and it works well - we usually get the trombones to play the introduction, but otherwise the band parts stay as is.

A couple of other slower SA numbers you may want to sconsider are "The Beauty of the Barley Field" (a Korean tune again arranged for cornet but suits euph well), "Someone Cares" or Trevor Davis's "Shepherd Song".
  11. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Rev. Archie Beaton by John Mason

This is the Euph with brassband version of the recording on Tormod Flatens CD Flight. (He used a 10 piece-backing).

Look at

12. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Rev Archie Beaton is brill, but you may have trouble getting it, we got it direct from Frode Rydland who arranged it :wink:
  13. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

I tried to make it not that obvius. :D

Anyway it is out now and the publishers have it in stock.

14. jonford

jonford Member

Does anyone know If there anywhere you can buy Rev Archie Beaton from in GB pounds!?
  15. tubagod

tubagod Member

What about Lament from Cry of the Celts?

16. Active Member

Have you tried R.Smith & Co?
    It might not be listed in their catalogue but they'll get it for you.
    0800 137 817
  17. Toni2

Toni2 Member

Salut D'amour, Elgar arr child bros I think. Not sure if it's been done for band though!
    I think its nice anyway! :roll:
  18. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

try our friend hunting high I;m sure he can sort it :wink:
  19. Patkin

Patkin New Member

Ideas for an Encore

Floral Dance?.. :D :D :D

opps sorrrrry...very poor joke.....
  20. wideiusgrinnius

wideiusgrinnius New Member

When you've finished "The Better World"?? You must be mad! It's a long piece that! Do yourself (and the audience) a favour...grin widely and sit down when you've finished! Encore??? Na, don't bother with it mate!!