Ideas for a Yorkshire Night??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lotta, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Lotta

Lotta Member

I play in a band in The Midlands and we have been asked to play at a Yorkshire Night.

Anyone got any ideas on what type/pieces of music to play?? Would really appreciate any help!!

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

3. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hmmm... I'm sure there's a march somewhere with a large chunk of "On Ilkley Moor Baht' At" towards the end - I think it's YBS's own, though, so don't know if it's published. (Is it "YBS" by Norman Bearcroft? have to look at the CD to be sure).
    If you're short of traditional tunes, you could maybe do some music from "Brassed Off" (Clog Dance, etc), although it has been done a lot!
  4. Lotta

Lotta Member

Thank you for the help... I know its a hard subject! I was trying to think of pieces associated with the Midlands before.... :!: :?:
  5. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

The march "West Riding" Brighouse's theme tune is based on Ilkley Moor. How about having a dialect speaker as a guest...Yorkshire dialect poems are always a laugh (as long as you can understand them)..things like "The stick with the horse's head handle"

6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

What about Last of the Summer Wine.

you could check Slaidburn may well fal in North Yorkshire

What about anything from Full Monty, Sheffield lads, that's south yorkshire for them down south

I'll think of somemore, A yorkshire compere would make it interesting,
    Just ine thing, NO flat caps or ferrets please!!!!
  7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I was going to suggest organising a normal band night but practicing twice as much, but out of respect to my many friends who play in Southern bands I will refrain. :twisted:

Whatever music you play, a Yorkshire night must include pie and peas. I would also recommend a barrel of Timothy Taylor's Landlord bitter or anything from the Black Sheep or Daleside Brewery.

Music by famous Yorkshire composers might include 3 Dale Dances, Contest Music and Revelation...

Have fun...

8. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

How about Three Haworth Impressions by Gordon Langford?

9. ju33les

ju33les Member

This piece was ordered recently by The Watford Band,and apparantly it went down very well! :)
  10. tim

tim Member

how about dyke's march "queensbury" to open???
  11. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Yorkshire Night!

How about 'Puddin' on the Ritz'

12. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I wonder how long that joke's been waiting for a use???
  13. PeterBale

There's also the Yorkshire Ballad by James Barnes, which was arranged for the cd Evelyn Glennie did with Black Dyke.

Equally, if your trombone player is up to it, there's always "Dick Turpin's Ride to York".
  14. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

15. Lotta

Lotta Member

Oh Roger.... how you tickled me ribs with your awful but funny 'Puddin on the ritz'!! :D

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.... doin' a grand job!! :wink: Keep em coming though!

:bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

P.S Ploughboy..... I promise, NO FERRETTS!!! :lol:
    P.P.S Bob.... put ya claws away!! :D :wink:
  16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

What about the theme to that Dastardly and Muttley cartoon 'Stop the Pigeon'? ;-)
  17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Or a variation on Kumbayah - 'ee by Gumbayah!! :roll:
  18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member the key of E Flat cap ;-)
  19. PeterBale

Another idea would be to look at the items recorded on "Made in Harrogate" - all connected with the town in some way. and click on "Recordings".

pm Straightmute for further information.
  20. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Just fill the concert hall with flat cap wearing wippet owners that complain about the price of the beer at highly inappropriate moments.

The Red Rose is best.....