Idea's for a themed concert

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Simon_Horn, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Our band is looking to do a themed concert - perhaps around TV, film and stage in about a month or so time. We are toying with the idea of maybe doing something a little different than just a formal sit down concert i.e "and our next piece will .......".

I would be interested to know if any TMP'ers have done anything like quizes etc. a brass band concert etc and if they were sucessful or really didn't go down too well :)

Here are the details:-

Band - 3rd section
    Concert - 5 weeks off
    Audience - presumably mid age
    Venue - Church in North London

Also, if you know of any good solo pieces that originate from TV, film or stage then that would be useful.

Thanks in advance

Simon Jones
    MD - Whitewebbs and EMM Band
  2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

We did a Christmas Concert and Quiz evening at a local social club last year. It did go down pretty well. They have a regular quiz night and we got some really good feed back. Basically I wrote the quiz around the music. This was mainly the usual christmas cheesy stuff! Each team were given a printout and there were a few general questions but most of the questions were focussed around the music and asked by the compere inbetween the pieces. The problem is finding music you can write questions around that aren't based around brass band and musicial knowledge. If you spend a bit of time researching around the music and it;s connections (especially if it is film music) you can usually write a good few general knowledge questions for each piece. It was a good evening - good luck with yours!
  3. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Thanks...and was the band playing the full piece of music and then questions asked after each piece or was it snippets of pieces like a normal pub quiz type? I've got an idea from reading you email to perhaps do 1/2 hour of normal concert and then quiz based on snippets of film music with questions like "which film does this extract come from" or "who was the female lead in the film that had this sountrack". If I did perhaps 20 of those then the answers could be marked in the break and the winner get some prize or other (or even invited to conduct the band for the last piece! hahaha). Thanks for the ideas....

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

We did whole pieces with the questions for that piece being read out before the piece. you need to be inventive with the questions (which is the hard bit!) there is only so many times you can say "what film is this piece of music from?". Try using the Internet Movie Database for information about films and general trivia about particular films.
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Another thing you could do is music through the seasons...Start with Spring and end with Spring (could have a religous slant as well if the church wants that).

Don't know if there is an arrangement of Spring out there.
    You could start with the Queen for St . Georges Day.
    Maybe a beach boys tune or two for summer :p
    Could do a wedding tune or two for summer (since many get married in summer)
    You could do some proms tunes for end of summer.
    Autumn Leaves would be nice for the fall.
    If its not at the same church you did your christmas concert at, you could pull out Troika again...that was a fun one.
    You could do Auld Lang Syne.
    Play a nice lenten hymn for late winter.
    William tell reminds me of spring at the begining, could be a nice finale, tying it back to Spring.

Just an idea
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You could also do a "round the world" type programme, with an imaginary journey, destinations, means of transport, etc. Plenty of scope both for music and quiz questions if required.
  7. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

At a concert I did with Denmead band, we did a 1970s theme for the 2nd half and most of the members dressed up in 70s gear and we played music from that era. It was cheesy but went down a storm with audience and was great fun for the band.
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Last year we did a concert with all Film/movie music but for each one we did we had 2 BIG SCREENS playing a clip from each film.

This was very good and we are doing the same this year but with a different tyhme to it:clap:
    The audience were well impressed and it was something we had never done before but it paid off for us and so here comes 2005 BURTON ON TRENT TOWN HALL in October:biggrin:
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What about a Victorian evening? Take an old march, overture, a couple of air-varies, opera and music hall selections and :woo .... done!

... or is this still too commonplace? :confused:
  10. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

Sounds like a great idea, but how did you overcome copyright/performing rights issues? Or did you just take a risk?!?

I remember years ago doing a film night with the Stevenage Symphony Orchestra (at the Gordon Craig Theatre that's now used for L&SC regionals) but because of concerns over copyright, performing rights, licenses etc we couldn't use film clips. Instead the theatre techinicans projected "gobos" onto the screen behind the orchestra, eg image of a dinosaur for Jurassic Park, cowboys for Magnificent Seven, etc. Was very effective for the concert. (Although the moving pictures would have been much nicer!)

Norfolk Wherry Brass
    L&SC 4th section champs!!!