Idea for a new commission

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stopher, Dec 8, 2004.

1. stopher

stopher Member

A couple years ago when I was doing my pgce, I used to conduct the Uni Concert band and we had an email from Tim Reynish and Mark Heron about bands and individuals each chipping in £20 to commision a new piece called Aue! from a NZ composer called Chris Marshall.

About 60 bands/indiviuals from around the world chipped in to fund this new piece and in return were sent a copy of the score, a tape of the premiere in the RNCM Basbwe festival and had a mention in the back of the score.

Anyway, with the new area pieces out and the usual arguments for and against them, it got me thinking that maybe we could use tmp to do a similar thing
    and commission a test piece for the areas/open/finals.

If it was for the areas/finals, then maybe one section could be chosen each year for the new commission, giving us a new fund for commissions instead of using the lottery or BBC and other avenues for funding.

I know there would be an argument as to we should commission and which but maybe that could be organised by a poll on tmp or another way.

Just trying to find out other people's opinions

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    commission
    piece
    Concert band
    area pieces
    Uni
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

£20 x 60 = £1200

Is this a realistic amount for a commission? I have nod idea as i haver never been commissioned - only commited !

Would the organisres of any of the major contest ever agree to this idea?, somehow i doubt it.

4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Great Idea there Chris , am sure you could put more money towards the commission , all new music is a good idea.

5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

They are already doint that to an extent in the Europeans. The set test for the past few (dunno how many) years has been a new composition? In fact have most of the set tests not been new works? I know this only affects a few bands, but it does increase the repetoir somewhat.

I know that the 4th section test piece in 2003 (Lyndan Pictures (sp?)) was comissioned for that purpose, I'm sure there are more, but I havn't been in the brass movement for long enough to know.

I do however think that at least one of two of the 'domestic' contests should have a new composition as a set work, this keeps bands on their toes!

6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Lydian Pixtures (Simon Dobson) - sounded like an excellent piece and quite a change/challenge for 4th section.

Anyone know if Simon is working on anything new? BBW had a mention saying he was commissioed to do 'something' for the British Brass Band Federation.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Which NZ composer were you thinking about commissioning? I only know a few from the Woolston CD release .... Kenneth Young, John Ritchie, John Rimmer, Anthony Ritchie, Larry Pruden etc. What about setting up a competition with raised prizemoney for a new work? You can set parameters that might be suitable for the level of performance necessary. Only a thought.

8. stopher

stopher Member

I have no idea how much composers for bands charge for new commissions - I know of one composer outside of bands who charges the composers union (Ior whatever it is) rate of £580 per minute of music so £1200 would mean a contest over in an hour!

I wasn't thinking of asking an NZ composer - just that this scheme when Tim Reynish organised it asked Chris Marshall from NZ to write the piece.

Maybe try raising the entry fee for the areas for the section with the new commission e.g. 2nd section have new commission this year so every area raises the entry fee by a tenner for the 2nd section only which then gets collected and put towards new commission. Following year, the 1st section do it etc.

Just thought there are ways of getting new pieces written for bands if we think about it - thats 2 that I've thought of today!

Thats how bored I get when I'm off work with no voice! That'll teach me to sing in my schools christmas concert! Should be back on thursday so will not bore you with any more mad and wacky ideas!

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Another idea I thought of is if you contacted Paul Hindmarsh and see if any of the commissioned works for the BBC Radio 3 Festival Of Brass series could be released for competition. The works probably are still dormant in many people's minds as the radio programme was broadcast early in the afternoons, cutting down a potential banding audience.

p.s., not all of them are like Judith Bingham's Prague which received, unfortunately, too much bad press when selected for our areas. :-?