I'd rather stick hot needles in my eyes!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Apr 29, 2004.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Everybody has one of these...What is the one piece of music that makes you lose the will to live??
    Everybody has one of those pieces that they really can't abide playing and would rather bath in poo than play...

So what is your bogey piece?

Mine? I got sick and tired of playing Oklahoma and it just makes my toes curl when I hear it. Dreadfully dull arrangement of just awful music.
  2. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Singalong No.1....... Singalong No.2.........Sing With The Band........that Black & White Minstrels Medley thingy.....Oh What A Lovely War! (Is there such a thing?? :roll: )

Remember playing these pieces with my 1st band years ago at every concert we did :roll: :evil:
  3. Trigger

Trigger Member

Oh- where to start??!! I hate Oklohoma too!! But it would have to be Lowry's Sketch Book-probably gonna get some stick for that, cos I know there are people out there that like it, but I hate it!!! :x

TIMBONE Active Member

I am not going to make any comment about the arrangement, however, you say that it is 'awful music'. My own personal comment is not aimed at you, it is just that when a person says that something is awful, does this mean that the millions of people who love the music, go to the show, buy the soundtrack etc., are they awful as well?
  5. Trigger

Trigger Member

Ahh just remembered- Hootenanny and Spread a Little Happiness and Chanson D'amour (I think thats' how you spell it) and Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machnines!! Kalinka!! Ahh Ahh AHH!! :evil: :evil:
  6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

ET- Fanfare and Flying Theme...a god awful arrangement!

hmmm...what else. Oh yeh ANY pop song arranged for brass band. It just isnt right!!! :? They sound crap!

TIMBONE Active Member

Well, the Robbie Williams song "FEEL" is a pop song, and a horn duet arrangement will be available soon, and I think it sounds fine, so does my wife.
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I suppose I only think the music is awful because we flogged it to death so much, no it wasn't meant as a reflection of the people who like it, each to their own I suppose, I just grew to dispise it.
  9. David Robinson

David Robinson New Member

Movie themes.
    In particular, George of the Jungle.
    In Jazz Band we went to elementary schools, played this, and they sang along. The worst part? They were out of tune. :(
  10. Abba medley for concert band is horrid

Edit: Name deleted - Can I remind everyone not to mention Composers, Arrangers or Publishers by name please - Thank you (RT)
  11. NAS

NAS Member

12. Danny_L

Danny_L Member

The Binding of the Wolf.....hated playing that when I was on horn a few years ago.
  13. andyp

andyp Active Member

Any Queen music arrangement I've heard so far, apart from Bohemian Rhapsody. Please don't "dumb down" the music to make it easier (and thus sell more, presumably), it just ends up plain wrong in all the rhythms and nothing like the original.

The Floral Dance, obviously. I own neither a flat cap nor a whippet, so you can stick your stereotypes where the sun doesn't shine, please.
  14. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I'd rather scoop out my eyeballs with a rusty spoon than do Tuba Smarties :shock:
  15. louise0502

louise0502 Member

*huge gasp and intake of breath*
    *takes a few minutes to calm down*

I love those pieces!

Mind you, i probably haven't played them as many times as you. And it would take a megaly horrible piece for me to hate it, cos i'd play anything. Actually, just thought of one - Something Stupid!
  16. bigcol

bigcol Member

Pah!! I was going to mention that one. Top g's for solo trombone for 150 bars or so!

TIMBONE Active Member

The Bohemian Rhapsody arrangement can't fail 'cause it's done by 'dazza', (Darrol Barry).
  18. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Tom Jones for Brass

Pass the arsenic please....................
  19. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

MEMORY FROM 'CATS' :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  20. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

This Final Countdown, Sex Bomb, When you say nothing at all....... The usual rubbishly arranged stuff!