I Want That Solo!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DuncanEuph, Nov 8, 2006.

1. DuncanEuph

DuncanEuph New Member

Hi All!!

I have a copy of the 'highlights from bridgewater hall 2001 CD' and on it there is Dereck Kane playing A Little Prayer with the Rncm Band. On the cd cover it says that this was written by E. Glennie and arranged by R Childs.

Here's where the confusion starts...I ordered the sheet music of that...A Little Prayer, written by Glennie; arranged by R Childs. but its a full band version and not the euph solo dereck kane was playing...its not even in the same key.

Can anyone shed any light on this?? Which version is on the cd? and where can i get it?! it sounds awesome!!

ta very much!!
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

There is a solo version of this for Marimba, again arranged by Bob Childs. I presume that the version you have heard is based on that one. The usual arrangement that everyone plays is the full band version though.
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Actually, I may have been a bit quick to reply to this. It is possible that the euph solo version isn't published, although it does appear on several CDs. I can try to find out for you if you like. Alternatively, if you have the CD, you could look in the sleeve notes and see if the publisher is credited - they are sometimes! ;)
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Originally the piece was for marimba solo, written by Glennie for her solo recitals. I've got it on CD somewhere....

I think Bob Childs arranged it for marimba/band for Dyke's CD with Glennie - how the euph solo version came about I'm afraid I've no idea :confused:
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The arrangement was actually done for David Childs, who recorded it on the cd "Prodigy", and it is listed as "copyright Faber Music".
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've had a look on Faber's website, and only Evelyn Glennie's original is listed - I can't see this euph version at the moment, although it might be on part of the their catalogue that they have outsourced. I can check that pretty easily.

Although I do wonder if maybe Faber have just kept the copyright, and prescribed that they are listed as the copyright holder? I know OUP do that - my arrangement of the Lord Bless You and Keep You says that it is copyright OUP.
  7. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

As far as I'm aware the Euph solo version isn't available. I tried to get hold of it when it appeared on the B&R CD Hymns & Marches, but was told the only available version is the full band arrangement.
  8. Seth

Seth New Member

I remember the arrangement that David played, although I seem to remember it was his dad who arranged it for him, could be wrong. Try contacting Bob or David directly, you never know.
  9. DuncanEuph

DuncanEuph New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the posts!!

I think (fingers crossed!!) that i have found a band who have a copy of it!! :D

Cheers again!