I want a program that can scan and play sheet music

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Phil3822, May 18, 2015.

1. Phil3822

Phil3822 Member

Hi all, I would like a computer program that can scan and then play a piece of music. My reason is I hope this will help on difficult passages and allow me to know how something is meant to sound. Hope this makes sense. I don't mind if it is a phone app, computer program or what.

This is a new world for me but confident it could help on occasion.
  2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

This opens a whole can of worms regarding copyright and scanning music....
  3. David Evans

David Evans Member

Hello Phil, there are several that will do it but music scanning is not an exact science and most scans will need a bit of tweaking. Sibelius has a scanning program which puts it into Sibelius but the scanning program alone is around $250, although a trial version is available. Capella produce a scanning program that a few years ago was very good , however it is now $250. Finale has a scanning program built in but they also do a program called PrintMusic which scans and plays/notates your music. It is around $100 and considerably smaller than the heavyweight notation programs above. A full version is available on trial for 30 days, after then you cannot save things so I would certainly try that. It is available for Mac or Windows.
  4. owain_s

owain_s Member

Which only helps to demonstrate how copyright legislation is unfit for purpose.

As David suggests, it's not a simple task to produce such a program! Just deciphering from a printed page what are notes, what are slurs, and so forth is easy for the trained human eye/brain, but not as straightforward to a computer. Then there's the infinite variety of fonts, house styles, and quirks of individual engravers. Take a look at this, for the skill that was involved prior to computer involvement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=345o3Wu95Qo. Programmers are still working hard to try and replicate what these guys did, such as the developers at Steinberg, many of whom previously worked on Sibelius before it was bought out by asset-strippers and all of the senior skills were jetissoned: http://blog.steinberg.net