I.T.A Reading Method

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Im now the other side of 40.
    When you were at school did /was you part of a experiment called
    I.T.A Reading system/method.

If so can you anything much about it.
    I know the words were not spelled how they should be.
    examples of this from what i can recall are
    Is was spelt Iz
    Was """""" Waz
    Milk """""""Millk
  2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

You mean this - this and this

I never learnt it, thank goodness. It seems to have been rather discredited, though.
  3. hicks

hicks Member

nevr hErd of it, bt dun we hav somTIN v similR 2day n d form of txt spk
  4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Its very similar also to the B.B.M. writing method.
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

OK, speaking as both a teacher and as the elder sibling of those who learned ITA, it is pure and unadulterated shiite - and yes, that is my considered opinion. None of my sisters can spell worth a damn and they have little or no grasp of the subtleties of the language which is supposedly their native tongue. I was not taught ITA and my English, though by no means perfect, is vastly superior to theirs. 'Nuff said?
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

....and yet it was very successful in the school where my mother taught. Championed by the headteacher in the infant school, there were few issues with transfer into "Proper readin' Miss!" and on into the junior school.

The levels of literacy were unheard of for those going on from that school at the time, (and mayhap never achieved since) but it was abandoned immediately the headteacher left.

Innovative, certainly; Ahead of its time? No, because it'll never come back.
  7. mikelyons

Sorry to disagree, Will, but it has been back at least three times that I know of in the last 20 years in one form or another.

None (and I do mean none) of the people I know who were taught using ITA are able to spell accurately or even consistently. They were from 4 or 5 different schools in total and spread over about 5 years in age. Their grasp of spelling is minimal, their grasp of grammatical usage is poor at best and, in general, their comprehension skills are very poor - not the least because they are less able to quickly understand the subtleties of language and/or to devise complex structures in which to frame their thoughts. Verbally, most of the people in the above group are communicative, loquacious and highly verbal. However, their literacy is low - bordering on the level often described as dyslexic - though only two of them are, as far as I know. ITA was a very destructive force to the nation's literacy.
  8. The Wherryman

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  9. dyl

dyl Active Member

10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Ian Terrence Allan Perks ?
  11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Dyl ;
    Just testing to see if you know the mizzing word
  12. The Wherryman

Oh, another game :clap: I love games...

Could it have been Doh! ?;)
  13. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

As a person who was taught using ITA, I believe that it did have an adverse effect on my ability to spell accurately. Why anyone believed that first learning to read phonetically, and then subsequently having to learn to read again (the second time learning to read standard English), was a good idea is anyone's guess. However, I would not describe my comprehension skills as being "very poor", nor would I describe myself as being "less able to understand quickly the subtleties of language", and unable "to devise complex structures in which to frame my thoughts". It would have been better if I had been taught to read standard English from the start, but in my case ITA did not have the catastrophic result which Mike describes.
  14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I bow to your teacherly knowledge of things, Mike.

That is a definite contrast to the experience where my mother taught.

It has to be noted, though, Mike, the head in question was universally disliked in the ILEA for his devotion to ITA. (Not as a person or as a teacher in general, I would add, just for his like of ITA.)
  15. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

but the thing is that text language is developed AFTER you've learnt the language so you should have the ability to turn it on or off.

from having a quick scan through those links from the Wherryman, it looks like an absolutely idiotic way of teaching children how to read and spell - it seems as though someone had too much time on their hands and decided a bit of meddling was in order.... :frown:
  16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Very true im glad you did not have to do it like i did;)
  17. mikelyons

...and the story in education is always the same. :roll:

BTW, I probably slightly overstated the case a bit earlier. The lack of comprehension thing is more to do with slowness in reading and understanding any given text, rather than actual thickness, if you see what I mean. I also mean strictly with regard to the written word, not their verbal skills. Most of the people I know (who were taught using ITA) have extremely good verbal skills and are eloquent and well-spoken, they just find it more difficult than the norm to express themselves accurately and effectively in writing. There's often an element of embarassment about their spelling as well which inhibits them - especially near pedants like me :roll: :oops: (Sorry guys & gals)
  18. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I thought this thread was a reference to my husband lol! (ITA are his initials) - I have heard of ITA and it seems a pretty ridiculous way of teaching literacy skills.

Today's mix of synthetic phonics with good old 'spelling it out' seems a much more responsible and successful way to teach literacy. My son took 12 weeks to learn how to read 6 words in his reception class....a year and a half later he is reading anything and everything, from books/newspapers/comics to instructions on shampoo bottles lol!

Well impressive I think.
  19. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I found it very easy to read ITA when my mother (of the aforementioned post by Will the Sec) took me to her school when I was very young, but when she returned to the school 8 years later, and I visited I thought she had written something out in Esperanto.
  20. Llamedos

Llamedos Member

I think I remember this. Was it phoenetic semi joined writing?
    Also around this time they did an experiment on learning French in junior schools. As I never got below a B grade in any French exam I would say it was quite successful. Kind of feel a bit like a guinea pig though............