I saw Miles Davis in 1983

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Matt Rayner, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner New Member

Hi. Noob here. Just popped by for a quick look recommended by a friend..

OK. Here's the beef.

In 1982 I was singing and playing guitar in a band in France. Hmm. Not that interesting, but then the town we were based in played host to a massive music festival every spring. The, err, thusly named Printempes de Bourges.

Well. I was a young lad at the time and at least 2 middle aged women had their desins on my behind. One being the owner of a record shop in town. She, err, thussly invited me to go and see Miles Davis who headlined the whole event.

I'¨ll spare you the rest, and on to the show. After a terribly long wait, the band came on. Let me see.. Mike Stern, Marcus Miller, ah.. a few blokes. They played a full ½ hour before on strolls his majesty in massive platform boots, tight leather pants, jacket with improbable shoulder pads, wrap-around specs and leather pork pie hat.

He lowers his shades, has a scan of the audience and then turns his back for the whole of the show! Ah. But.. Then he played a 3 hour set with the most blistering soloes you can imagine - sometimes playing accompanying lead on the keys with his left hand.

The audience was gobsmacked. There were no breaks between numbers. At trhe end of the set they all walked off and didn't come back for an encore.

The place went nuts for an hour after and I really thought a riot may start. It was mental. Luckily we all went home and lived happily ever after.

So that's it.

Cheers and Man City for the Cup.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    lad
    look
    beef.In 1982
    women
    guitar
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Was this time of Jean Pierre, Back Seat Betty and other numbers like that? Also had Bill Evans (sax), Al Foster (drums) and Mino Cinelu (perc.) in the band? I have the 'We Want Miles' (1982) double live album on vinyl and it was a powerful statement of that time. I'm envious ... never had the chance to see him live with this band.

4. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner New Member

Bill Evans (sax), Al Foster (drums) and Mino Cinelu (perc.)

Yes mate. That's the band. Cinelu was just brilliant. Another bloke on guitar. John Schofield. Specs and a Gibby 335.

Marcus Miller broke a string mid set and this huge fat roadie came on, threaded a new one, tuned it and he kept on going!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Scofield is quite unique in his style and has influenced the likes of Mike Stern and possibly John Abercrombie too! Did Marcus Miller just play bass or was he allowed to play his other instruments too (e.g., bass clarinet)?? All legendary players in Miles' band in their own right.

6. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner New Member

Oh mate. Mike Stern was beyond influence. I've see Zappa and Santana, but Mike Stern was just brilliant. I don't think Schofield was even close.

7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I'm very jealous! Althoug, in 1983 I wouldn't have known who the hell he was, being only 3 years old! I've got over 90 recordings of his and I wrote my Dissertation about him!

Another amazing musician, he plays almost all of the instruments (apart from trumpet of course) on albums like Tutu!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I just think he uses the same angular approach to melody as Scofield does! Not talking about comparison of technique e.g., how fast each are! (I would start yapping about McLaughlin, Vai or even de Meola then!).