I Remember Clifford

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ratpit, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ratpit

ratpit Member

is a tune by Benny Golson

Has anyone done it for Brass Band?

I'm doing an arrangement of at at the moment

Its a cool tune
    I will check out youtube for links

Wakeman Youth Brass
  2. ratpit

ratpit Member

3. ratpit

ratpit Member

4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Have you been granted permission by the copyright holder?

5. ooo... i'm playing that next week with our uni big band!! awesome song!!
  6. its_jon

its_jon Member

Yes... I did a successful solo part for IRC ...... I played it a a slow melody contest in a open section and claimed the 3rd spot amongst good opposition and well played slow melody standards such as Nessy-dorma etc etc.

I was not sure how it was going to go down with the adjudicator (it being jazz) ....so my version is 'un jazzed' and nearer in style to the Arturo Flugal version.... I also placed in some brass bandy landmarks that adjudicators like to see such as dynamic extremes and difficult notes to play high etc....

I can send you it if you like ..... just get the pianist to listen to the Arturo version on You Tube first and tell him just to softly flop down some chords in the background.
    PDF be ok ?
  7. ratpit

ratpit Member

I'm not intending to publish or profit from the arrangement
    It will be studied and performed by my A level students!
    Am I breaking any laws?
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would contact his management team here to get clearance. I particularly like his chart, Killer Joe!
  9. mehans

mehans New Member

10. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

11. ratpit

ratpit Member

Finished the chart

Ready for rehearsal on monday

1st performance will be at Ripon Cathedral Entertainment Contest on the 30th May

Watch this space!
  12. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I'm assuming from this comment that you have not had permission to arrange this music?

If this is the case you really are pushing the boundaries by announcing that you intend to perform an illegal arrangement in public and at a brass band contest. :eek:

If I have assumed wrongly, I apologise, but it might be worth taking the time to read the following item:

13. ratpit

ratpit Member

Thanks for the info

Contacted Benny Golson!
  14. ratpit

ratpit Member

Just got an Email from Benny Golson's lawyer giving me written permission to arrange the tune.
    Benny wants to see a copy!

All we have to do is learn to play it now!
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Congratulations! :clap: Hope it meets his expectations.
  16. shric debar

shric debar New Member

please don't tell me you're going to play jazz with a brass band. STOP NOW it cannot be done. Jazz is Jazz you need the rhythm section and the saxophones. plus most brass bands can't play jazz properly. they don't swing right they don't fiddle with the music trying to puit more of themselves into it. Jazz is so nice normally but i hate it when i hear European style brass bands trying to play jazz as they play it so lifelessly.