I have one question only,

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by animal.22, Dec 18, 2008.

1. animal.22

animal.22 Member

who the hell on gods green earth told Chris Martin that he could sing ! :confused:
  2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Thank god you have only one question! Thats too hard for me
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Just a couple of clarification points for me to answer this conundrum.

1) Are you refering to Chris Martin of Coldplay because I believe it was all Yellow and not gods green earth

2) Or are you refering to Chris Martin of Norwich City in whch case it would be Yellow and Green and not simply gods green earth?
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Somebody deaf. Possibly the same bloke who told him he could play piano.

What's that Chris? More block chords on the crotchet beat is it? Ah yes, the ubiquitous "Coldplay chords."

I can't believe that band has won awards. Just shows how much garbage there is around.

Hold on.... Garbage were quite good. Especially Butch Vig on drums... ;)
  5. AileenD

AileenD New Member

I did!
  6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Probably the millions of people who bought his albums....
  7. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Sad ! His latest effort is a real dirge,I hope he feels suitably ashamed.
  8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Perhaps the same person who told Tracey Emin she was an artist, Davina McCall a TV presenter and Gordon Brown a prime minister.
  9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

3) Chris Martin the American TV actor, in which case probably it was his agent
    4) Chris Martin the British transatlantic rower, in which case it would be gods blue sea
    5) Chris Martin the Professor of Economics at Brunel University, in which case sure market forces should dictate whether or not he can sing
    6) Chris Martin the CEO of CF Martin Guitars, in which case he's probably well qualified to judge for himself

10. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

His mum
  11. jamieow

jamieow Member

selling records has nothing to do with talent, or ability, sadly.

Saying that, Bob Dylan wrote some brilliant songs, yet he is never a 'singer' - though he does sing, so that would make him a singer!!??!?!?!.........do all people who sing have to fit some sort of 'template' of what a singer should sound like?
    Wouldn't the world be pretty boring if the only music 'out there' was written / performed by virtuosos?
    At least you know it's Coldplay when they're on the Radio (usually Rad 2!!), how many (again trying to not generalise) pain in the a**e American (not wanting to offend anyone) R&B girl singers can you say that about.....it all sounds the same....they'll have their 15 months of fame and be gone.....

Take Joe Satriani (not the Coldplay vs Joe Satriani thing - that's another story) or Steve Vai etc - technically amazing guitar players, but oh so boring (in my opinion) to listen to.

There's a plethora of people that do the same thing, and the music is stale and has no personality.

It has it's time and place I suppose but I grew out of that when I was 15!!
    Constant 'flash' and no substance is boring........loads of notes for no purpose - though that's songwriting vs composition!!

Then take say Noel Gallagher - not a 'guitarist' in the sense of the two aforementioned, though he knows a few pentatonic licks - but he can knock up a tune or 2 to be fair to him.

I'm not a Coldplay fan, but my little brother (14) is, and took up piano initially because he likes Coldplay - he wanted to learn some of their songs - now he's getting really quite good and has expanded his repetoire....nothing wrong with that at all.

Yes, for the 'purists' (music snobs anyone??) they're not cutting edge or pushing the boundarys, but they are stupidly successful, will never have to do a 'real' job (though most pro musicians work harder anyway - certainly at the outset) and they're getting paid lots and lots to play / write music - we'd all love to earn a living do what we love - living the dream I'd say.....good luck to em..
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

dont know but someone who thinks he can
    Well thats who i think it is:biggrin:
  13. Thirteen Ball

Satriani and Vai aren't that bad really. I've heard the same thing levelled at Eddie Van Halen a million times. Several folk accuse him of "just playing fast" but how about the riff for 'Ain't talkin bout love' which was so good it was successfully revived by Apollo 440 years later.

I see where you're coming from but it gets a lot worse than that. Dragonforce anyone? Jaw-dropping technique, but it's all soulless, mechanical stuff. And underneath all that the flippin songs are like Celine Dion records...
  14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Again, for those of us not familiar with your own little language Ian, do you fancy explaining this nonsense?
  15. animal.22

animal.22 Member

I almost wish I'd never ask'd :rolleyes:
  16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Join the club :rolleyes:
  17. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Sorry,but the man just does my head in. :eek:
  18. jamieow

jamieow Member

I'm no fan, and the whole 'SAVE THE WORLD' thing he does is so contrived - "Hey Bono, let's try and ease our own consciences and make the normal public think we're not doing it for the money".

Did you see the pics of him pushing a plough in some paddy field?
    Made me cringe.

Saying that, he's meant to be really nice - my mate just got back from tour as a guitarist in the main support band for Coldplay's tour - finished last mon in the O2 arena.
    Said he wasn't around too much, but he sent them all a crate of champagne and a good luck note before their 1st gig in Liverpool......though, he did also say that as soon as they finished playing, he was whisked straight off to the nearest airport and flown on his lear jet back to London - saving the world my ar5e.
    How much fuel would that use!!!??!
  19. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Indeed, or how else would the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Rod Stewart, David Bowie have sold records? All have awful voices, but get a lot of people becoming their ''fans'' because they thinks it's ''cool'' to have a Bowie or Hendrix album and to say they like their music.
  20. Thirteen Ball

Whoa what?!!! Who cares if Hendrix had a rough voice when he could make a guitar do things like that!! To this day his stuff still sounds fresh.

Plus Axl Rose has a voice like a pint of nails and gravel, yet it kinda suited Guns 'n' roses sound. And with Bonnie Tyler it kind of became a trademark.

With Bowie, I guess it's more about successfully reinventing himself for successive generations - importantly without alienating core support. (Although I don't personally like any of what he's done overly much.)

Rod Stewart, I'll agree, I don't get it. Poor music sung badly? Not a fan....
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008