I feel good! - but for how long?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by obi-wan johnny, Nov 30, 2007.

1. In this age of instant gratification (a cup of tea and a choccy biscuit for me :D ), the world is full of the hit, the 5 minute wonder. It used to be the 5 day wonder. I guess if you go back far enough it was the thing invented 5, or even 50 years ago that was wonderful.

It happens everywhere – even in brass bands – that we “forget” what a great time we had just last weekend, and we start to bicker between ourselves. :(

I’m worried that we don’t know how to keep hold of our joyful feelings any more. (How are we to produce a good Patronus charm?:dunno )

My questions -
    How do we keep the "feel good factor" going for longer?
    How do we extend people’s happy time?:woo
    :clap: Happy answers only please!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    I
    cup
    gratification
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Take the initiative and be the joker of the pack.

Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you. ;)

4. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Smile

Always be the first to end an argument, even if you know you're right

Put your true feelings aside - if you feel like c***, not everyone has to know

Grin and bare it

And if all else fails........

Have a Beer!!

5. Di B

Di B Member

When I am feeling down I just have to call up or think of a really good friend.

Just being fortunate enough to know someone like them makes me happy - and they can always make me smile even when I have a reet bag on! :)

6. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

It's the best medicine!

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Unless you're bitten by a snake or something of course, and then the anti venom is usually much more effective. :biggrin: :rolleyes:

8. McChambo

McChambo Member

Are you any happier after last night (baby)? By far the best concert I have done with the band.

Seriously though, good camaraderie is the key. As Trevor Walmsley says:

'it all boils down to attitiude and a sense of loyalty and responsibility. Cliches like 'team spirit' seem to be thought of as old fashioned these days but good comradeship is worth five points on the contest platform.
    The brass band is one of the greatest levellers in today's fractious world. Nobody has to be there - we are there because we want to be. It doesn't matter what your father is or was or what kind of job you do. It doesn't matter how much money you have, whether you live in the detached executive style or a back to back terraced house, we are all equal around the stand. If you can do it, you're in, if you can't you're out, or at least trying like mad to stay in. You will have a lifetime of constant frustration, countless examples of 'if only we'd........' a few moments now and again of joy in achievement, a lot of moments of despair and no money at the end of it all. But then all we brass banders are masochists - we love punishment. It's great isn't it? Isn't it?'

9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

lol :biggrin:

10. on_castors

on_castors Member

I always found Prozac very good.... even if it has "side effects" I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.:biggrin:

11. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Proof is the pudding my wee plumph! When people relax and stop stressing the good comes rolling out...... which is why the concert was so fab! You know the band has the wonderful habit of playing random tat for a couple of rehearsals before the gig/contest only to pull it out of the bag when we need to. That's because too many people overanalyze whats happening and become mad wee stress bunnies, which only makes things worse. The trick i guess, is to relax and not panic when you make a mistake cos you're never gonna get it back, just admit it and move on. the more you think about it the more likely you are to do it again..... and again...... and again. THink the trick about the concert was Jim relaxed and everyone knew there was nothing elso anyone could do by that stage in the game.

As you are also well aware I'm a total advocate for the band bonding socially as well as in the bandhall....... AND MORE GROUP HUGS!!!:D :clap:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    I
    cup
    gratification
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'd certainly agree with that.

A band that works and plays together, stays together.

I was in a band once that had issues over the MD - but when we tried to resolve it, everyone got into the "Well if he goes, I go. I'm not here for the band I'm only here for fred...." etc. and however well we did on stage, however much we all applauded the same soloists, the spectre of that division always raised it's head in the boozer afterwards.

In the end, everyone's personal issues got more important than why we were there and there was something of a bloodletting. Those people who felt excluded took chairs elsewhere, and the band went from 23 players to about 7 - which is a shame because it was for all the wrong reasons.

In my experience, it's normally when someone's ego or personal issues become more important than the welbeing of the band membership at large things start to go wrong.

So long as everyone stays focussed on the good of the band band it takes everyone in a band to swallow a bit of pride and all pull on the same rope, and the good times will roll.

14. McChambo

McChambo Member

Totally agree. But doesn't every band have it's own special little attention-seeker?? ;-)

If players aren't willing to sing from the same hymnsheet, they know where the door is.

(MASS EXODUS..............SLAM!!)

15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

So who's ours then??? Is it me??;)

16. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I certainly Know who all my bands one is :cool:

17. McChambo

McChambo Member

Having said that, I'm probably the worst.........

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  18. McChambo

McChambo Member

Actually, I don't think your band has one at the moment.....

Are you offering to take up the role??

19. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Ehhh.... Naw!! Have long since given up my dummy (apart from the one that plays persecution) so would have nothing to throw from my pram!! Besides you know how much I love our band............. most of the time anyway.:D

20. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

My questions -
    How do we keep the "feel good factor" going for longer?
    How do we extend people’s happy time?:woo
    :clap: Happy answers only please! [/quote]

Johnny come south, its warmer so its easier to stay happy... and as a bass player you would be in so much demand... and if you ever need a quick fix read the how to shower joke (page 80 on bad jokes i think). x:sup :sup

21. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'd have to say that's usually true. The very nature of people dictates by the law of averages there's one in every band!

However we need people of that nature to be soloists, cornermen etc. so it;s not necessarily a bad thing.

But you need folk like me too. I'm quite happy to sit in a corner and concentrate on blending my sound in and supporting the band. It's what I do best!

Whatever someone's character, preserving the feel-good factor comes from keeping everyone focussed on doing well for each other.