I don't like being a grown up anymore!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Oct 12, 2006.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

You know sometimes you just have one of those 24 hours when everything seems to be going wrong?!! Well i've had enough of mine so i'm turning to tmp to moan/get advice so help me out people please as i'm seriously considdering going back home, hidding under my duvet and never coming out again!

And as to you useless articles that call yourself men who wont answer your phone (you know who you are!!) - grrr!!

1) Our freeview box seems to be knackered?!! It was working perfectly well yesterday lunch time then in the evening the sound seems to have gone- you have to turn the TV up to max volume when the digital box is on just to be able to hear what they are saying. the colour seems to have also gone really dark. whats up with that?!!

2) half way thru the evening the remote control for the TV just seemed to stop working. We changed the batterys but it just wont do anything. why?!! So now were left with no digital, and can only control the TV from the little control box on the tv. slightly annoyed.

3) this morning i opened up the washing machine (only a month old) and found it was half full of stagnent water. Yuk! so i set it off (without any clothes in) to see if it would drain properly, it did, but in doing so our sink filled up from the plug, therefore when we use the washing machine water seems to back up into the sink so im wondering if when we use the sink water backs up into the washing machine? Can it do that? is that what the stagnent water is? Figured i'd get some sink unblocker stuff and see if the plug is blocked? any reccommendations?
    And while were on the subject, my room is next to the bathroom and when you pull the plug in the bath water backs up into my bedroom sink. So apparently the plumbing in my house is totally knackered??!!

Any advice greatfully recieved cos i do just want to cry at the moment!
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

1. Go to the pub, it has a TV

2. Go to the pub, you won't be able to smell the washing

3. go to the pub - forget all the cr@p around you
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Are you in rented accommodation? Complain to landlord about plumbing - sounds like its blocked somewhere in the system. Otherwise try some strong un-blocker thingies.
  4. PM daveredhead. He's a plumber and could give some advice.
  5. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

I had a similar problem with my Sky box the other day, make sure your scart lead is plugged in firmly at bothe ends!
  6. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

1.) Maybe it's you T.V. thats broke and not your freeview box?? Try freeview box into another T.V. if you have one.

2.) Maybe you spilt cider on it!!

3.) Maybe there's a pasty stuck in your pipes!!:lol:

You're welcome;)
  7. Di

Di Active Member

1. Power it off and unplug. Don't just switch off, pull the plug out the wall, wait for a minute and plug back in.

2. Is this similar to the sky remote where you have to code it for your TV? Does it need recoding?

3. Ditto above advice. Speak to Dave Redhead.

If all the above fail, go to your mums house and watch TV while she does your washing for you. ;)
  8. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I don't like being a grown up... I'm 29 years old and I still imagine what I'd like to be when I grow up!
  9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Nominate a member of the house to be the honary man, and undertake all of the man roles....In my house that's me, I have to mend the internet, sort the television out, cut the grass etc....I blame my age!

The freeview box probably just needs to unplugged and plugged back in again, then all will be well!

I also agree with the pub option!
  10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

1 - Hit it until it works
    2 - Hit it until it works
    3 - Hit it until it works

Thats about it for my technical know how. Seriously though, for the freeview box could it maybe be a dodgy scart cable? mine sometimes goes a bit dodgy when you fart about with the cable.
  11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Poor sweetie!
    1. Put the TV on analogue and bump up the volume using the analogue remote. Then switch back to FreeView box. That's how I get mine to work again after the man of the house has been tinkering with it...
    2. Throw it across the room? Sounds knackered. If it's yours take it back to the shop and complain. If it's the landlords complain at him.
    3. This is definitely on for the landlord. If its in the contract/inventory then he has to provide you with a working machine.

Please don't go home. It doesn't necessarily get better, but it gets easier to deal with and you will laugh about it. Honest. I laugh myself silly now over the mice in the bathroom, and the kitchen (including the one we found dead in a milk bottle one morning), the leak in the roof that meant water leaked down one of the upstairs light fittings, the dodgy wiring that meant when you ran a bath full of water it was live and we had to wear rubber trainers to clean our teeth, the crow that committed suicide down the chimney and ended up in the gas fire (luuurve that smell of roasted crow). Well I say laugh, it's more sort of thank-god-I'm-out-of-that. But the point is I was there and I wouldn't actually have missed it for the world.
    The mad sessions in the kitchen making vodka jelly (the beer jelly wasn't so good), the sod-it-lets-all-go-down-the-pub-and-get-warm sessions, the lounging about in the garden in summer having beetle races, the girlie nights of manicures and hairdressing, the lovely warm feeling of getting home on a cold wet winter's evening to find a house full of people who've cooked something nice to share. It all balances out.
  12. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Awww Kelly! It doesn't sound like you are having much fun at the moment! You should come round to my house! We don't have digital telly and our tv signal is pretty rubbish and the tv doesn't have a remote control..... but we do have a semi working washing machine.... and my housemates probably won't shout at you for no reason.... other than that.... my house is the place to be! come and visit me! :tongue:

13. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

i Dont like being grown up anymore

Hey does that sort out the plumbing as well:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .As i have been a plumber since him upstairs said "Let there be water" if you want to pm me,I will diagnose plumbing probs at only twice my normal fee to tMPrs (Let me see Twice nothing is hmmmmmmmm, Ok will settle for that)
    I i thought i was having a bad day,
  14. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Go and let your landlady know about the plumbing problems - don't "complain" or she might kick you out...she's done it before!! Apparently the plumbing in our house had a few problems like that last year - the solution was to get a plumber! All is well now...:)

As for the TV - give it a rest and see what it's like tomorrow - in the meantime my room has perfect freeview facilities if needed (although the fact that I'm 100 miles away at the moment may be a slight problem...!) :)
  16. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Right then Emley man, we need to have words, serious words! Don't make me have to bash you! (and just in case you did want to get it right, Cider is more commonly native to somerset, and pastys and very native to cornwall. I am currently in Devon, so there! Ner ner ner ner neeer ner!) ,........i am a grown up really!

Thanks for all the advice people, I tried some Mr Muscle sink and plughole unblocker and i think its worked? well how would i know exactly?! Both the bath and sink are draining a lot faster, know im just waiting too see if the washing machine randomly fills up anymore! The tv still seems to be broken tho :( but we are making our way nicely through the hundred and something dvd's we own.......... Hmmm, ok so im not quite as stressed anymore! I think that might have something to do with dancing to "time warp" last night tho, with all those pelvic thrusts!

And as for you liz- i can't believe you've gone home when i need your freeview box this weekend!
  17. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

See the TV remote. Is it one of those, like mine, where it has a switch so that it can select between TV, DVD and Video so that it can be used to control other equipment from the same manufacturer. It's annoying when it accidentaly gets switched to DVD when you're trying to change a TV channel.

Just a thought.
  18. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

We're assuming the phone still works ok then??

Now you've sorted the drains (hopefully) have you thought to wash out the washing machine, maybe a hot wash with some hand towels in, just to get rid of stagnent leftovers!

Good idea above on the remote, or buy one of those cheap ones that'll do any telly!

And remember been a grown up is not a matter of age, it's a state of mind - I'm still waiting to grow up and i'm ????????

Manx - you're just digging yourself a bigger whole mate! and I bet you dont' realise who gets the grief from it! Still the pasty down the drain was blooming funny mate :)

19. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

awwww you aren't THAT old! :tongue: only 10 years old than me! :D

I think my house had a gas leak or something last night.... we were all really hyper all night.... running round round like loonies and hanging off bannisters and screeching at each other and playing naughty board games and ooooh I love Uni! :tongue:
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  20. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Are you sure that wasn't a regular night in your house Fi?