I deliberately play wrong notes at contests!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by steve butler, Aug 22, 2008.

1. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Yes, time to fess up, when I get some of those awkward (fly s**t) runs that I can't quite get my fingers around - I cheat!
    Who's going to notice an A natural instead of an A flat in the middle of fff mayhem?

Anyone else guilty of this heinous crime? :biggrin:

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Everybody is going to be listening out for you doing it now you've fessed up - so I think the answer is probably "everybody"!! :biggrin:

Mind you, I remember on my grade 6 tenor horn exam being asked to play a horrible scale (something like C# melodic minor or something, I don't remember now) and playing C melodic minor instead because it was easier! I got away with it too! :oops: Good job the examiner didn't have perfect pitch, and wasn't a brass player so didn't recognise the wrong fingering!

3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I don't think there's a player in the world who wouldn't admit to some form of flights of fingering when confronted with fly edited at least for the first few times.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  4. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

I have been doing this for years on BB bass and to date , have always got away with it,I tend to twiddle 1 st and 2 nd valve and blow loud,I perfected this art whilst watching several top bass players doing the same thing at contests.:D

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Yup, guilty! (with several other offences to be taken into consideration, m'lud)

Proves that the rhythm and general shape is more important than the notes.

You can make a good approximation of "Flight of the Bumble Bee" by wiggling valves 1 and 2 very quickly and pitching (more or less) appropriately, use it to demonstrate to learners how rhythm is more important than beating yourself up about odd wrong notes. (I ask them how many wrong notes were in it, when they say "don't know" the reply is "All of them!")

6. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

...and I thought it was just me!! ....and the occasional large extension of the main tuning slide to re-key some of the awkward blighters.

Sud.

7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

When I saw this thread I though it was going to be an absolute blinder, but imagine my disappointment when I discovered the true nature :mad:

I was once taught on a very different instrument, that if you play the first and last notes of a tricky passage correctly, and fluff the inner notes in time then your average listener in any guise would not be able to say with 100% certainty that you had played using "Artillery fingering". Works wonders on Double B.

8. cornet_babe

cornet_babe Member

I must say that I have been guilty of the odd bluff on a difficult run :D However never managed it on the contest platform yet.... :p

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Virtually every professional player, as I know from 1st hand experience. It's not always our fault either. When a composer writes something which is so difficult to play that it would take weeks to learn and then it has to be rehearsed in one session, what do you expect?

I suppose the difference is that, the better you get, the better you become at bluffing!

This does not only apply to the profession. I've played with the odd 'top' band who do exactly the same thing!

10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

And to think Killer and I thought you were "Finger Flicking" perfect and it was only us who circumvented awkward runs with "Nearly Alternative" fingering.

No, seriously, I remember you and I sometimes discussed it and played the "Amended" fingerings in unison, semi convincing the suspicious MD it was correct because it was unlikely that the two of us would be wrong.

Of course it only works with speedy rhythmic runs.

We still won plenty of 1st prizes despite our "Re arranging" !!!
    - Wilkie (Blushing)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    flat
    fly s
    middle of fff mayhem
    heinous crime
    notes
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Guilty as charged. Just call me 2nd waffle down.

13. steve butler

Hey! Speaking of Killer............ I've just been sat behind him playing at a church in Snaith, I think he deliberately plays wrong notes all the time!!!!
    Never heard so many!!! :D

14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

But did you actually hear them or suspect them ?

He's very good at it you know.

Jim D. (Welsh Wagger) used to fix him with that quizzical eye, but could never nail him.
    Killer is a true Master of the Art and a shining example to the rest of us sneaky flukers.

Remember Killer won the prize for the best euphonium in Section at last years Areas.
    Living proof of his genius !!

- Wilkie (In awe and Wonder)

15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I can assure you that you are in very good company - some of it extremely exalted !!

- Wilkie

16. steve butler

Well he did keep blaming the chap next to him, don't know where he got that idea from :biggrin:

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I do !!!

- Wilkie

18. killer

killer Member

Ok, so i may use the odd unwritten note here and there but i prefer to look at this way, if god had intended me to be finger perfect he,d have made me a bass player.

Re last area, the least said about that the better, dont want to go back to those dark days thank you very much,,,, And as for Butler,,, well imagine my horror to see Steve"the judge"Butler sat behind me listening to every split, out of tune note i played.,,,, Actually Iancwilx it was great to see him and most certainly great to hear him. Thanks Butler for helping out tonight, dont hurry back !!!!

19. steve butler

I'll send my rear gunner (oo err) Wilky next time :biggrin:

Enjoyed your rendition of "Bennylinctus" :p

20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Ah Killer, your false notes are only rivalled by your false sentiments.
    I am a true disciple of your dark arts and your suspect sincerity, though I know that uneasy feeling of disquiet at having Butler in close proximity - guard your thighs Brother !!
    - Wilkie

21. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Rear gunner my *rse - more of a whipping boy I reckon !!
    - Wilkie
    ( Sorry Mods - it won't happen again, he just gets under your skin sometimes !)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    flat
    fly s
    middle of fff mayhem
    heinous crime
    notes