I can't wait for the band version of...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Conan the Barbarian - especially the theme called "Theology/Civilisation". If someone wants to send me the orchestral score, I'll have a shot at it!

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Of course this should have read:

:rolleyes:

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Which honestly isn't that hard to do. Just did it myself for an arrangement of a Beautiful South record. (Helped by pointers from a good few kind folk on here and the TMp copyright FAQs.)

It only cost a few quid to cover more copies of it than I'll ever need to print, and better yet, IT'S LEGAL so I don't have to worry about playing it, or if a mate's band wants a copy!

Stop wishing there were arrangements, start doing them! (Legally of course!) ;)

4. Where can I get the sheet music for the full orchestral score? (On a budget...)

PS. And where can I find out if a brass band version has already been written? (And is there a FAQ on converting music for a brass band?)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Original orchestral scores to film music are usually hard to find (especially as this piece was written in 1981) without doing a lot of research and donkey work, but a good starting point is your local music lending library. You may be lucky in finding a 'piano' copy somewhere but I would suggest that you contact the publishers, composer (Basil Poledouris) and even the film company if you want the original orchestral score. There's probably one 'original' copy of this score gathering dust in a filing cabinet somewhere and you've got to find it! It's a daunting task, but if you are determined to transcribe the music for band, I'm sure your search will yield fruit.

Incidentally, as far as I'm aware this piece has never been arranged for band - unless someone knows different of course!

Good luck in your quest

;)

6. basspower

basspower Member

"One Night in Bangkok"

(especially the beginning!)

7. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Are you referring to the "Madness" song?

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

For the life of me I can't remember how One Night in Bangkok starts as I can only remember the chorus. (I think it was Murray Head that sang it and was taken from the musical Chess??? :confused: ). But the opening to Madness' Night Boat to Cairo (which is the song I think you mean Tim) especially before the vocal entry might work well. Not so sure about the actual vocal part though - as far as I can work out its basically sung on two notes for the majority of the verse....

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Try Denis Wright's book on scoring and arranging for brass band. It's very helpful. There are a bunch of standardised transposition charts on the web or in various tutor books too.

If using sibelius, you can input the whole thing onto an orchestral stave, Copy and paste into brass band, then just get cutting (although that does involve a lot of wasted effort!)

Alternatively you could choose your parts carefully to reflect the original instrumentation (or the effect you want) and input the whole thing in concert C (turn transposing score off) then check for exceeding range boundaries later.

Dont be disheartened if it gets difficult or you struggle to achieve the effects you want. You can't possibly write anything worse than some of the stuff I've written!!! ;)

Good luck!

10. timbloke

timbloke Member

How long before someone takes up the baton on the new Groovefinder v Nina Simone version of "Ain't got no..." as featured in the Muller light adverts?

11. Bungle

Bungle Member

And it has appeared, as part of "Twelve Scripture-based songs arranged for brass band, Volume 7" on world of Brass web site (in case anyone was bothered). Don't know what the arrangement is like though. Anyone played it, or knows of Paul Sharman's arranging?

Just googled he plays cornet for ISB

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Paul Sharman is a talented arranger/composer, and has had a number of pieces published, several of them in swing style. I believe he is still YP band Leader at Regent Hall, and although I'm not familiar wih that particular arrangement, I'm sure it will be more than acceptable.

13. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Yes, and yes.

Bangkok,
    Oriental setting
    And the City don't know what the city is getting.
    The creme de la creme of the chess world
    In a place with everything but Yul Brinner.

I think....

14. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

DT Arrangement

I have actually done (most of) an arrangement of overture 1928, the Sop part is monstrous as is the Solo and Rep part, it is in the original key which makes for a very interesting horn solo which is in 7 sharps :evil:

if you want a gander, drop me a line and I'l let you have a peek

15. BrianT

BrianT Member

...Michael Jackson's "Beat It" with a note-for-note transcription of that Van Halen guitar solo in it.

Also Ultravox "Vienna"

BrianT (firmly stuck in the 80s)

16. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

The harmonics that the guitar part has would make of an interesting notation,
    what about the end of it? flutter on a Sop?

17. BrianT

BrianT Member

Yeah flutter would work. I've seen the guitar part in tab notation (which I can read only e-v-e-r so slowly) and there's some amazing semiquaver 5-tuplets and 7-tuplets going on too. Isn't the end of the solo is a quote from Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower"?

While I'm here, I also thought Donald Fagen's "Walk Between the Raindrops" would make a fabulous arrangement. It's a jewel of a piece.
    BrianT

18. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I mentioned on my post about Pirates of the Carribean that the Superman Returns trailer was better than the PotC film. Has that opening music been arranged for band? It would sound great.

Igg

19. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

dunno if its any different but we played an arr of Superman the other night at band... class arrangement =))

20. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

One of the openers from the mummy returns. I know theres arrangements out there of the scorpion king etc but as far as im aware this particular piece hasnt been arranged. (heard it on "the classic score" cd.... wicked concert opener!)