I can't wait for the band version of...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Apr 17, 2005.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

What pieces of music would work well for bands, that have not yet been arranged?

My first two choices are from two film's i've seen over the weekend.

First of all a selection from the Kill Bill soundtrack. If you've not heard the soundtrack I suggest you go and listen to it. In particular some of the Ennio Morricone stuff on the second volume would work well, Woo Hoo by the 5 6 7 8s, or Malaguana Salarosa as a solo.

My second choice, and I'm sure it won't be long before it is released, is the soundtrack and in particular the main theme to The Incredibles. Anyone know if this is likely to be released?

2. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Defo agree here. We bought the DVD yesterday and my kids are already watching it for the thousandth time the soundtrack is awesome. Might be a tricky solo cornet with all those lip trills!

3. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Stick them on the sop part! ;)

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

This has been arranged because I heard Eikanger play it at the Dobcross concert and it was very good! I think the arranger was either Frode Rylland? or someone actually in the band. Frode's username on tMP is hunting_high so you could try contacting him.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Personally I would prefer some of the current crop of classical composers write a serious piece for band than have the usual suspects produce a very familiar feeling arrangement of the latest film soundtrack.

Please, leave the Incredibles soundtrack alone. The screaming trumpet parts are an integral part of the texture of that music. Much as the sound of a soprano cornet is something I quite enjoy (especially in the right hands) it is no substitute for Wayne Bergeron and the other guys on that soundtrack, wailing away a couple of octaves above the stave. Anything a band would play will be a watered down version (I can't imagine any sop player even thinking about those parts), please just leave it alone.

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Henry, Portraits from Tudor Times.

Bonus points if any knows where it came from.

I actually have permission to arrange this - I really must get on with it after my current project...

7. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

I'll second that. More music written for band to go on the concert platform please, not arrangements.

And if it is arranged, I hope the arranger writes the original four trumpet parts across the front row! It only goes up to about a G above double C!!!!!!! It was played by Wayne Bergeron (lead), Rick Baptist, Paul Salvo & Jon Lewis. LAs first call studio trumpeters. There are practically no others who can do the sort of stuff they do, day in day out, on practically no rehearsal! Amazing players.

Seriously though it does seem odd arranging music like this for an ensemble that doesn't have the range of the original. It is like watering down good music, when there should be people writing originally for brass band instead.

8. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Yes, eikanger got an arrangement of "Green Hornet" which is the quasi "flight of the bumble bee" from the first Kill Bill movie. (Actually its the theme music from a actionseries that was going on american TV in the late 60's with Bruce Lee playing one of the parts.)

Its not my arrangement and it is not published.

But its very fun both to play and listen to. ;)

Frode

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The original is good fun as well - it can be heard (being played by Al Hirt, who did the original) on www.trumpetstuff.com - enjoy:biggrin:

10. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I would love to see a lot more jazz arrangements after seeing Ray, and buying the latest Buble. I think its a phase I am going through, but jazz and blues are the new Philip Sparke for some reason.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Penine
    contact
    Does
    band version
    Penine publishers
  12. Syrup

Syrup Member

I was at the recent Dobcross concert by Eikanger and heard Green Hornet, it was a cornet feature with an all-female front row cornet section stood out front playing some amazing fast & high stuff. Great arrangement and great playing (and great-looking too!).

13. Ali

Ali Member

Danny Elfman's theme to the film 'Beatle Juice' would be a great band arrangment. Very Slavonic in style and very up tempo.

14. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I think Enter The Dragon would be good.. 'n' funky! a la Mr Williams!

Is the Theme from the Naked Gun available? (or Police Squad. whatever!)

15. A couple of zany choices here. which I think would work well for band.

Steve Vai- For the love of god
    Steve Vai-Whispering a prayer

From guitar to solo cornet perhaps?!

16. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

crackin little march at the end of the film Valiant (the stupid one about the pigeons)

17. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I'll "third" that!!

18. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Steve Vai- For the love of god :eek: I'd love to see that played on a cornet. The twiddly bits 2/3rds of the way through would be a bit challenging to say the least.
    Lets face it - its not going to happen - (I doubt if theres any one good enough to play it) - but thanks for reminding me of what a great track that is. Rushed to my CD collection and played it as soon I read your post. Fantastic :clap:

19. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

from guitar to euphonium!!
    xx

20. Pookiyama

Pookiyama Member

I still say the main theme from Pokémon!

Also, a lot of video game music would work in brass band form, too. There are great scores from Super Mario Bros., Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Luigi's Mansion that would work really well (IMO anyway).

21. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

i always thought the opening theme from stargate SG1 would be a great opener. In fact all the Stargate Music would sound good for brass band...dunno if anyone has arranged it... :)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Penine
    contact
    Does
    band version
    Penine publishers