I C E

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MRSH, Jul 8, 2005.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hi All

I got this in an e-mail today and thought it was such a good idea I'd pass it on.

Following the disaster in London . . .

East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston.

The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

If your ICE number matches a number that is already in your phone it will not be able to identify the number when it calls you.

If the same number appears twice under different names in your phone, your phone will only display the number when it calls you because it will not be able to differentiate between the conflicting names.

You need to either:

change the name of your emergency contact to "ICE" with the persons name in brackets i.e. ICE (BOB SMITH)

or

Enter an ICE address but rather than entering a number, enter "See BOB SMITH" to direct whoever it may be to the address and number of the person you wish them to call.

3. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Absolubtely superb idea!

4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

This sounds on the surface a great idea but just two points.

1. My work colleagues friend got mugged a few weeks ago and the muggers took great delight phoning his ICE number to say he had been in an 'emergency'.

2. The emergency services are not stupid. Your phone will have many numbers like 'Home', 'Mum', 'Dad' etc. in it that they would ring anyway.

I still think its not that bad an idea, but I think the motivation behind it is more a 'chain letter' thing than particularly useful advice.

5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

How about you post something positive for a change?

6. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

I have entered ICE (Angelina Jolie) into my phone in the hope of suffering a nasty groin strain!

7. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

*sigh* theres always one...:rolleyes:

8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Ok..how about this.

http://www.eastanglianambulance.com/content/news/newsdetail.asp?newsID=646104183

I had only seen this scheme from a dodgy chain letter type thing sent to my kids. But it seems it is a legitimate scheme after all. So apologies if you thought I was rubbishing it - as I said in my original post it does seem like a good idea and if it is 'official' then I fully support it.

9. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Regardless of officialness or not, I'll rely on whoever finds me to be able to look up "home" or "mum" or "dad" as opposed to being able decipher an random acronym......

10. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Fair enough. I've added it because I would want them to call my boyfriend, not my parents, and I don't see how they could pick his name out of the many on my phone without a little help.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    In Case of Emergency
    Simon Weston
    IC E. Hi AllI
    case
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

...which is OK, should you want your mum or dad to be the one contacted and told bad news in the event of an emergency.

That would not be appropriate with my (fairly aged) mother, hence LBB being my very capable emergency contact.

13. euphonium1214

euphonium1214 Member

I think it's a good idea! I got an email along those lines too... Who have people put as their ICE number then - your parents?

14. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Well I recieved this today can anyone explain what is going on it's confused me somewhat

Beware of ICE
    >Many people have received emails about the ICE system. It is alleged that,
    >following the disaster in London, East Anglian Ambulance Service have
    >launched a national "In case of Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign with the
    >support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston. The idea is that people store
    >the word " I C E " in their mobile phone address book, and against it
    >enter the number of the person they would want to be contacted "In Case of
    >Emergency". The Trust has now been informed that this is not only a hoax,
    >but a means of planting a virus in mobile 'phones which when activated
    >causes the user to pay for calls they have not made.
    >
    >In view of the interest in the system we said we would look further into
    >it. Out advice now is if you have put ICE into your mobile phone you
    >should permanently delete it. If anything further is heard we will let you
    >know. Please print this email for any colleagues who do not have access to
    >the Outlook system

15. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Looks like the 'hoax-debunking' email above may actually be a hoax....

From here