I Believe

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by Mesmerist, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

I believe that a friend of mine - a music teacher, as well as a performer on musical instruments going back to the Middle Ages - would retort that the sounds coming out of the music rooms in her school when brass players are learning resemble those made by a cow in labour!

She has also been on a personal crusade for years to educate people as to how great a recorder can sound - if only the players are taught to breathe properly! Unfortunately, she says that most children are just told to blow into it any old how, with all the emphasis on fingering and sight reading - and breathing and posture doesn't get a mention. The result is that the sound is appropriate for a funeral dirge, rather than something to enjoy.

You only have to listen to a brass player who sits all scrunched up - as compared to one who knows how to get the best out of their lungs and embouchure - to imagine the transformation that she has achieved with her pupils.

With best regards,

Jack

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

3. wife divine

wife divine Supporting Member

I believe you are absolutely right. I even got on my own nerves when I used to play the violin and as for recorders ? Never let a friend's son choose a prize that you won on the shooting gallery at Southport Pleasure Beach then let him in your car for a 30+ mile drive home.

Jack E and Mesmerist like this.
  4. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Sorry, WD - that word picture had me laughing till I cried!! :D

I think I would have been inclined to stop the car after the first couple of miles, and lock the recorder in the boot - or, quite possibly, the boy . . . :cool:

Reminds me of the old joke about the woman who asked her husband where he'd got the guitar he'd just brought into the house.

H. "I borrowed it off the kid next door."

W. "But you can't play the guitar, can you?"

H. "No - and, as long as I've got it, neither can he . . . !"

5. wife divine

I believe certain musical instruments were invented by the devil.

6. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I believe a baritone player will sound wonderful on a wooden mouthpiece. :D

7. wife divine

I believe licking cake mixture from a wooden spoon is rather nice as well !

8. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

If my lungs get back into the shape needed for me to revert from tenor to baritone, I believe I will give one a try, Mesmerist.

9. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I believe it was funny to meet someone at a contest who asked (very nicely) if I was Mesmerist. I nearly lied and said No I'm Mike Lyons.

10. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

I once went to a course on horse ground-handling skills - and, as various husbands / boyfriends dropped off their womenfolk, realised I was the only bloke on the course. I got chatting to somebody in the next seat, and at two minutes to nine, a woman in front turned round, looked at me very hard, and said,

"We're just about to start, you know!"

"Yes", I said.

Short pause for thought, and then she said, in the most condescending voice I've ever heard,

"Oh! You're horsey, are you?"

Looking at her with a slightly puzzled expression, I replied,

"No - I'm English."

I believe we never really hit it off . . . maybe she just doesn't like blokes with beards?
    :cool:

Slider1 likes this.