I am looking for a showy-offy solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MoominDave, Nov 22, 2003.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

for Bass Trombone... Bizarre concept, I know.

Any ideas?

Mike Saville - weren't you looking for Czardas a while ago? Was that for the Bass?

Dave

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dave
    CCB
    Stardust
    thier solo
    double C
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I understand that Andrew Mackereth's new arrangement of "Swing Low" (recently programmed by Doug Yeo) is a bit of a showcase. You can see and hear it on his web-site:

http://home.freeuk.net/believe2

4. NAS

NAS Member

Goff Ricahrds arrangement of 'Rainy Day In Rio'... nuff said :wink: .

Neil Samuel

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i mentioned one on here a while back... barnacle bill the sailor or something like that. A very showy solo!

6. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

"barnacle bill the sailor"
    WHAT A NAME! :lol: Any recordings anywhere? It sounds cool!

7. Yeah, Barnacle Bill The Sailor.... It contains various sailor themes... Quite fun, we just played it with our band, where the soloist was dressed like a sailor and had a bottle of (fake!) vodka besides her (yes a girl :p).
    The arrangement was arranged by the dane Mogens Andresen, but I don't know who you should contact to buy it....

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well the guy who was playing it was with the european youth band but i don't know if he recorded it

9. Btw. I'm getting the recording from my band in a weeks time......

10. MoominDave

'Swing Low' looks interesting (and, refreshingly, not a comedy number) - I'll definitely be bearing that one in mind, thanks. Some of the other pieces on the site look well worth their prices too.
    'Rainy Day' I've done just recently. While not easy, I'm looking for something with a bit more of a 'wow' factor than that.
    'Barnacle Bill' sounds promising - does anyone have any info on publishers, etc.? A Google search shows up a number of references, but none that obviously appear to be to a brass band arrangement for sale.

Thanks,
    Dave

11. I'll ask my band Thursday for publishing information :idea:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dave
    CCB
    Stardust
    thier solo
    double C
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

it's "variations on barnacle bill the sailor" by steven franks.

i'll see if i can find a publisher

14. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Barnacle Bill sounds like a bass trom versionof the old 40 fathoms for Bb Bass!!

15. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

You could always transpose The Blue Bells Of Scotland ! ! !

how much more showy offy do you want?

16. MoominDave

TBoS is about the level I'm thinking of. Transposing it for Bass - intriguing idea; could get original arrangement credit then too :lol:

Cheers for looking round, everyone.

Dave

17. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

Who said you need permission?

18. MoominDave

19. i think if u want something showy and serious, a concerto is always a good option

20. lucretia

lucretia Member

Hi Dave,

We should have Czardas for Bass solo, but Ian did it in a Concert a few years ago, so it may be a little so to do again.

Alex

21. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Perhaps you could commission somebody to do an arrangement of Flight of the Bumble Bee.

That would be great if only for the panic on the soloists face. Could have comedy smoke coming off the slide and everything....

Igg

22. MoominDave

Only last November, I hope... Yes, it's a bit soon still, and also it's not in the best key for the slide (concert F minor). I don't want to give Ian the impression that I'm chasing him either! Would still like to do it in a sort of 'keeping up with Andy Flaxman' way, though - don't think I could manage the beautiful double high D he finished it on however... Perhaps I could delegate it to you?

See you later!

N.B. This is a link to a free download of a zipped .pdf file, openable with Adobe Acrobat Reader, for example (after unzipping).
    http://www.justbrass.co.uk/dtmusicuk/bumble.zip
    :twisted:

Dave