Hymn Tune Help.....!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Chunky, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Need some urgent assistance with advice on a couple of hymn tunes that are needed for a service on Sunday.

The 2 I am having problems with are as follows:

1) Tell Out my Soul (The minister thinks the tune is Woodland?)
    2) From Heaven you came helpless baby (The minister thinks this is Servant King?)

I have looked in the red hymn books and can find neither of the 2 tunes suggested by the minister and also I have the Blue SA books (both sets) and again no joy.

So, does the minister have the right names, are they in either of the books mentioned, but by other names, or any suggestions for tunes that can be used for the 2 hymns.

2. johnsop

johnsop Member

The minister is right.

The tune to "Tell out, my soul" is Woodlands and the tune to "From heaven you came..." is Servant King.

Neither of which are published, as far as I know, in any regular brass band hymn books. The best advice I can give is to arrange them yourselves.

If you have a music student in your band then they could use it as a little project as part of their course (lol).

Hope this helps
  3. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

From heaven you came is indeed known as The Servant King. We have it in a "Triumph Series" scripture songs from the SA publishers. I can't remember off hand which volume it's in but it's 1, 3 or 4. We're using it on Sunday as well.

Tell out my soul is Woodlands, but until I get home I can't tell you where it's from, as I know we've done this one in the past.
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks for that Chris, trouble is they are needed for Sunday :eek: so any help is greatly appreciated!
  5. Trombone91

Trombone91 New Member

Your best bet is to get intouch with the SA's Music Ministries Unit in London which is based within Territorial Headquarters who'll be able to help you find arrangements
  6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

The tune is called Woodlands but I'm not aware of an available scoring of it for brass band.

He's right and a brass band arrangement (Triumph Series scoring) appears in Scripture-based songs arranged for brass band, Volume 1.

If you want to place an order, send me a PM or call me before 3pm and and I will send a set out today.
  7. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

I've just emailed our librarian to see if she can remember the hymn book we play it from. (Woodlands that is). Might be quicker than waiting to finish work :rolleyes:
  8. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

Not sure what the full title is, but the book is duck egg coloured if that helps and they are in the second drawer down, cabinet nearest the window.

Well at least she got back quickly. I've PM'd you.
  9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

All sorted now, thanks to the power of tMP!!!
  10. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

All hallowed themouthpiece.com. (Taken from Season 9 of Stargate SG1, The Ori)!!
  11. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but where did you find Tell out my Soul/Woodlands?

trying to track it down for a wedding on Saturday - dots for 4tet/5tet/10piece or full band will do!
  12. Accidental

13. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Have pm'd!
  14. Accidental

thanks matey :)

now, if anyone within a 30 mile radius of Guildford or Dunbar has a borrowable set of Wright & Round's 99 hymns for brass band, please let me know!
  15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

These threads for new or unusal hymn arrangements come up quite often and I imagine we like most bands only have the Red Book to work from.

Last Sunday I was asked to dep for Old Silkstone at a Church Sing and they had all the hymns covered in the Red Book except for Morning Has Broken. Fortunately I checked KSB library and found an arrangement of the Cat Stevens version which seemed to fit so I took it along. If you know the record (Think its on the album Teaser and The Firecat) there are guitar fills between each verse which has been transcribed into the arrangement I took.

Always funny listening to a congregation singing the fill parts - even funny watching the cornets who were all sight reading discover that this "hymn tune" wasn't so easy to play :)
  16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Alex - if you are still wanting an arrangement please PM/call - I haven't got one, but do have the regular organ & trumpet version I use on a regular basis - it wouldn't take long to expand it for you (for whatever forces you require).
  17. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

We use one from the SA, there's loads of unusual and weird stuff in there. Might not be available just yet, but if anyone wants to pm me I will see what i can do next week.
  18. Accidental

Panic over! We've managed to find an arrangement now, so all sorted.

Huge thanks to everyone who pm'ed with ideas and offers to send arrangements - between tMP and Sibelius I had a choice of 5 in the end. :)

Now fingers crossed that was the biggest worry and the wedding goes without a hitch on Saturday.........!