Hymn Tune for Young Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Can anyone suggest an easy hymn tune for a young band? Around the standard of Ball's arrangement of "All in the April Evening".

Just looking for something different! :D

Thxs :D
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

How young? And do you want a full band arrangement, or something less?

There are a huge number of simple hymn tune arrangements in the SA literature, instrumentation from quartet through full ensemble.
  3. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Simon Kerwin has done two excellent arrangements of Lloyd and Deep Harmony that aren't too demanding. I've used them with the youth band I conduct and they've gone down well. Can't remember off hand who publishes them, but it won't be difficult to find out.
  4. Di B

Di B Member

I have got a couple of hymns from sibeliusmusic.com that are playable and arranged for brass quartets/quintets.

Thine be the glory (goes up to an F on solo line) is the one I currently use... can't remember the others!

It is certainly worth a search - and as long as you get the owners permission to play (a courtesy thing) a lot of it is free.
  5. skweeky

skweeky Member

our band has a very good arrangement of colne by the SA (solo cornets only get up to an Eb and sop goes up to F) it lasts about 5 mins and its very nice.
  6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

SA Unity Series has a lot of choice and it's all scored for a minimum of four parts.

If I can blow my own trumpet for a minute, two of my arrangements which are featured in that series are a waltz based on the hymn tune 'I am so glad' (very easy) and an Intrada entitled 'My Great Redeemer's Praise' based on the hymn tune 'Lydia' (easy as well).

www.worldofbrass.com will have the full catalogue of Unity Series music.

Paul Drury
    Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band