Hymn Suggestions for Entertainment Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by essexgirl, Apr 16, 2013.

1. essexgirl

essexgirl Member

We are doing a show/film theme for our entertainment contest, where it is also compulsory to play a hymn as part of the programme. Can be an arrangement rather than one from the red book.

Would welcome some ideas please - we are a 4th section band

Many thanks...
  2. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

We have several nice hymn arrangements at www.mmi-music.co.uk (Hymns and Christmas Music in the catalogue section).
  3. Malcolm Koki BM

Malcolm Koki BM New Member

Hi Soo - try Whiter than the Snow - by William Himes. It's written in a gospel style
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Eternal Father Strong to Save (Melita) was used in the main titles of Crimson Tide

Titanic used Nearer My God To Thee (Bethany, not the Horbury version)

If I think of any more I'll post 'em...
  5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Most of them are for films in the 40's, but Jerusalem was used in Chariots of Fire (1981)

Could you get away with "Hymn to the fallen"

HERITAGE Member

'Angels watching over me' was sung in the 2003 American Civil War film 'Gods and Generals'. There is an SA arrangement by Ray Steadman Allen which is very easy on the ear.
  8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Those were the two I first thought of as well!
  9. We released this title last year to commemorate the 100 years since the Titanic's maiden (only) voyage. Based on the arrangement used in the James Cameron film...

Nearer, My God, To Thee (From The Motion Picture ‘Titanic’)
    By L. Mason*

As the Titanic sank on the 15th*April, 1912, eye-witness accounts recall the band playing to the very end in an attempt to keep the passengers calm. This piece played a major part in James Cameron’s hit motion picture “Titanic” in 1997, as the heartbreaking scenes of people fighting for survival, and those simply saying good-bye rolled on our screens. Now, to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of the Titanic’s maiden voyage (on 12th*April 1912), this stunning arrangement of the work, as featured in the film, will allow your band to pay tribute to the story of the unsinkable ship, and the 1,517 souls she took with her.

Full score & parts: £16.95
    Available here - http://penninemusic.com/show_score_details.php?id=192&tf=N7.rtf
  10. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

'Dear Lord & Father Of Mankind' (Repton) was used in the film adaptation of 'Atonement', rather effectively (aside from an arrangement which castrated the original harmony) in the Dunkirk beach scene.