Hush mute - suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, Jul 1, 2005.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I have to do a gig next week with a concert/light orchestra. One of the programmed items is a selection from "Kismet", in which the trumpet parts contain an instruction to play using "Hush mutes".

An internet search has failed to turn up anything so far. Is there anyone with experience in this field who knows exactly what a "hush mute" is? Are they commercially available? is it another name for a better-known type of mute? If it is a "real" specific type of device, then what more common mute would give the best approximation of the intended sound?

All suggestions gratefully received ...

2. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

I used adjustable cup with the cup pulled fairly tight to give a softer sound.
    Have seen some unusual mutes around over time, but not specifically a hush mute.
    Like with most music, use a mute to suit the piece being played - e.g. straight mute can be normally either fibre or metal type.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

According to

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:cool: ... why not just label the part 'practice mute' instead of jargonising it?
  6. cjconnor24

cjconnor24 Member

it could be a practise mute, or even silent brass.....Scottish Co-Op used them at the masters in cloudcatcher for a real quiet almost eerie effect!!!

7. cjconnor24

cjconnor24 Member

Sorry, just noticed your post :oops:
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input so far. I doubt the real intention would have been a practice mute, since the arrangement dates from 1955. Certainly no Silent Brass in those days, and, even if there were such things as "practice mutes" in those days, I can't imagine they would equate to what we think of as practice mutes today (thinking of "Don Maslet/Wallace" or "DW" mutes for example)

Given the context, my instinct would be to use a fairly tight adjustable cup; I was just curious as to whether or not anyone had any certain knowledge of the subject ...
  9. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Given the date of the arrangement, I doubt it means an adjustable cup mute. Maybe it means a bucket mute perhaps? They soften the sound a lot without it sounding too much like a mute.
  10. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Maybe it was a spelling mistake for HUGE mute