Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Euphonium Lite, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Im referring to the Hymn tune, not the place......apparently its an old Methodist Hymn tune

Anyone know if its been done for band, cant find it in any of our hymn books.......?
  2. slaidpog

slaidpog New Member

As you say, "Hull" certainly does not appear in the 120 or 99 Hymns for Brass Band. It is an old Methodist tune in 1904,1933 and 1983 editions of Methodist hymn books. I would suspect that it is not sung often as the tune does not fit any of the popular hymns and if it was ever needed by a band I would expect a hand-written arrangement to have been made as a one-off.
  3. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Thanks John - what I suspected. We're doing a "historic" service in June and they want to sing a hymn to this tune....
  4. pbirch

pbirch Member

try here to see if this is the tune you are after
  5. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Maybe worth googling the European City of Culture as I believe Hull is following in the footsteps of Liverpool and Glasgow as a nominated center of European cultural excellence - maybe the hymn tune forms part of the basis of the nomination, unless it's just drunk women weeing in the street in broad daylight that clinched the nomination for Hull, along with it's many Pound land, Cash converters and Greggs shops.