HUGE ,Throbbing Spot

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alks, Aug 16, 2004.

1. alks

alks Member

Now i am irritated, i always seam to suffer from some kind of mouth ulsa or awkwardly positioned spot/pimple right when i have an important concert or practice on the horizon.

Now i have a concert on saturday and i have a huge brewing spot just below my bottom lip, at the moment it is extreamly painful, i cant feel the bottom half of my mouth and am unable to play.

Ive been trying various ways of dealing with it over the last day or so.

1) A blob of toothpaste over the infected area. (doesnt work)
    2) Frantic squeezing of the infected area (doesnt worK -makes things worse)
    3) Various potions and creams including savalon (doesnt work)
    4) Pricking the area with a sharp implement (pins & pair of scissors) (doesnt work - makes it worse)
    5) Washing with hot water
    6) Hang mouth over steaming kettle and hope it does something (doesnt work and its dangerous)
    7) Holding an ice cube over infected area (cold and doesnt work)

So i have given up and just hope it all goes away.

On a concert ealier this year i had 3 mouth ulsas and had to stick half a tube of Bonjella in my mouth to make it through.

I wondered how other people have dealt with these problems and if there are any secret remedies or solutions for suviving such eventulalities?.
    And if anyone has had to pull out of a concert because of it.
    Ive noticed that other band members arent very sympathetic and feel that it is just a pathetic excuse.

Alks :roll:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Throbbing Spot
    Ive
    doesnt work
    infected area
    mouth ulsas
  3. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

avoid touching it and leave it alone!!! get some tea tree oil and slap that on, u need to dry it out...messin with it will make it worse, however hard it is! :lol:

4. impycornet

impycornet Member

Absolutely !!

Leave it well alone.... The more you play with it - the more Huge & Throbbing it will become :oops:

5. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i was just about to say tea tree oil!

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Another possibility if you can get hold of it is Tincture of Myrrh. It's difficult to find, but even better than Tea Tree Oil.
    Dab some on,
    Yell until the pain goes away and then

leave it alone!

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yea, leave it alone! :lol:
    and clean ya teeth more often...

;-)

8. impycornet

impycornet Member

That will teach you to listen to anything my sister says !!

9. jim

jim Member

Good advice! Rob I can rember when your sister (Natalie) told me to put tooth paist on a throbing mspot on my nose the night before the open last year (she said she was an expert!!) no, it didnt work and the pain was awful I can still feel it now.

so take my advice LEAVE IT ALONE!!

10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

^
    ^^
    Is there a time warp on this thread? A bit of temporal displacement?

11. jim

jim Member

That will teach you to listen to anything my sister says !![/quote]

Thats the problem I would believe her if she told me the world was flat!!
    You are ment to belive evrything a teacher says after all!! :!:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Throbbing Spot
    Ive
    doesnt work
    infected area
    mouth ulsas
  13. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

When I was a young, vibrant, 'take on the world' trombonist, I also had this problem when an important engagement was coming up --- usually a nasty cystic eruption on my lip, just under the mouthpiece rim of course! My remedy? MASOCHISM :lol:

14. ju33les

ju33les Member

Is that in pill or ointment form? :?

15. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Yes, best advice is leave well alone.

Problems like this are nearly always stress related, so try to calm down as well. A gin & tonic often helps with this, but anything to help you relax is just as good.

I had an enormous "zit"or "ulcer" just before a contest, and found Bonjela a good cure...worked for me...

Alan

North Cornwall
    surrounded by flood water, rehearsal cancelled, stressed out, no pub tonight....

16. Offbeats

Offbeats Member

If its an ulcer on the inside of the lip, there is a treatment available (over the counter i believe) called OraSed. Mine came in the form of a red gel, which if applied to ulcers, not only healed them very quickly, but also numbs the pain...Quite helpful for an ulcer in a spot where there is mouthpiece pressure. I haven't tried this treatment for pimples or ulcers on outside of the mouth, but i guess its worth a shot.

17. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Mouth ulcers can be calmed with some mouthwash - particularly Oraldine. As for spots, I can only recommend regular thorough washing! ;)

18. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Yes, I agree LEAVE IT THE HECK ALONE!!!!!!

A dab of metho help dry it out and kill any infection that may start to arise after pricking it with (most like unsterile) pins and such. The pain takes a bit of getting used to, but it works!!

Aftershave (alcoholic variety) can also do it too....

I find I get my bumps ring on where the pink part of the lip meets with the skin coloured part......darn annoying, but a fact of life I fear.

19. I'v had the same problem in the past. ouch! i think the best thing to do is to try not to play or put too much pressure on it until it goes down. whetever you do DONT MAKE IT WORSE!