Howard Snell's 'The Trumpet'

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tim, Feb 21, 2004.

1. tim

tim Member

I have been reccomended this book and I was just wondering whether it was as good as I've heard it is?

Also I was wondering if anyone knew of books on Brass Mechanics as Paul Robinson from ever ready mentioned them to me at a course with the county band but he left before I could ask him for titles and authors :?.

2. NAS

NAS Member

Ive got a copy of 'The Trumpet' and yes... its a brilliant read.
    When I got it I used it as more of a reference book to look up things I struggled with...

3. asteria

asteria Member

Yep, this book is the 2nd bible (the first one being the Arban naturally :wink: )

But seriously, yeah go out and buy it, it's full of wisdom, the guy is a genius!

4. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

I bought that book way back in my Soprano days with Buckhaven Band.

It is a really good book with lots of great exercises, lots of great tips, a truly unqiue book and one to inspire any Trumpeter (or cornet player ;) )

Trumpet's Rule, Cornet's drool!

5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

... or FLUGEL players :p

I've read it and it's a very good book. Good to dip into and pick out exercises and tips etc.

Kirsty xx

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Buy it!!

Howard Snell has another book on the way (probably in a couple of Months or so..) called "Art of Practice" which expands further on the practice chapter from "The Trumpet".

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

any brass or wind player

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

can this book be purchased from places like Waterstones? :D

9. impycornet

impycornet Member

Yup.

Think I got mine from Smiths

ISBN Number is 0 9511 961 2 X

Which should help.

Or order from Kirklees Music 01484 722855

Cheers.

10. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Kind've on this topic, anyone know if there is a ringbound version of the Arban (you know, wiv those circly bits so you can fold it back on itself)?

A trumpet teacher I had for a few months as a cover tutor (great guy, Mr Whitbread) said that he used to have one years ago. I just think it would be a whole lot easier to use on a music stand, not closing up on itself every 5 minutes.

He also said he had a leather bound one, but that it was really old and he'd never seen one since he got his...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Trumpet
    Howard Snell
    Paul Robinson
    Brass Mechanics